Distributor Wiring Help

So, as some of you may remember, I recently aquired a 4KEU electronic distributor and coil to go into Billie. Whilst being from a 4K, it had the internal ignitor and seems to be identical to the 5K electronic distributor (maybe someone needs to update the FAQ?). Anyhoo, after pulling out the distributor on the spare parts car (Lemon/Pineapple), it appears that there is only one low tension wire running to the distributor, as per the Gregorys wiring diagram, yet the electronic dizzy has two wires, one black and one black with a brown stripe. Obviously one of these needs to go to the negative side of the coil, but where does the other one go? Positive side? Ground? Any and all help would be appreciated

Members dont see this ad

Thats what I explained above.....GT40 and GT40R.

It make no difference to the dizzy what you use, but if you use no ballast resitor with a GT40R you will fry the coil really quick.

If you use a ballast resistor with a GT40, it will most likely struggle to make proper spark.

For anybody who does know, this is what a ballast resistor does: When under normal driving conditions, with the engine running, obviously with the key position as ON, the power that the coil draws from the battery (12v) runs through the ballast resistor, which drops the voltage to the coil to 6v.

ONLY when you turn the key to the START position is the ballast resistor bypassed, and hence gives a 12v power source to the coil to help the engine start. The coil will tolerate 12v in small doses when starting, but if it is constantly run on 12v when its a "resistor type coil" it will burn out very quick.

Having known how a ballast resistor actually works I have used one somewhere else in my car. I am currently using a VL turbo fuel pump, which makes too much pressure and flow for a carby 4k......so, I wired a ballast resistor into the power source to that fuel pump, and hence halved its flow and pressure by halving its voltage!!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

What type of coil to use with what type of dizzies are basically irrelevant.

What is important is using a ballast resistor with a coil that requires one.

so to answer your question: Yes its fine to use a GT40 with a electronic dizzy, as long as you don't use a resistor.

But, yes, you can also use a GT40R with an elec. dizzy, as long as you do use a resistor.

The "R" bit is all you really have to worry about.

What were you told!?