Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tercel Diff

Featured Replies

I've got a 1989 AE95 AWD corolla (also known as a Tercel and an SR5). Something in the rear is noisy (probably the diff) and a cheap rear end from an 1986 tercel has come up and I was wondering if it would fit on? Anybody know?

I've got a 1989 AE95 AWD corolla (also known as a Tercel and an SR5). Something in the rear is noisy (probably the diff) and a cheap rear end from an 1986 tercel has come up and I was wondering if it would fit on? Anybody know?

 

Just to clear a few things up, the AE95 is NOT a Tercel, most people assume this because it bares a strong resemblence to the previous 4WD Tercel wagon that was sold here. No idea if the drivetrains or even the engines are compatible

Tercel is a al25 with a 3ac i think and the ae95 is a ae95 with a 4afe.

  • Author

I know they're not the same car but every single person I've talked to calls it a tercel, I thought it might've just been like the next model Tercel that didn't get the name or something.

With those codes it doesn't sound hopeful that they'll match up eh?

:wink:

Also the diffs off an 86 model. Was this the year that they changed over, meaning that if it was a late 86 model it would fit?

I know I could just go out an check but I don't want to drive all the way out there and find out its not what I want.

Edited by flamingheads

I think the tercel has a Y series diff not sure about the ae95.

I use to have a Tercel (God rest its soul), I think the rear diff was a Jap 292, just like what is found in Corolla's.

I know they're not the same car but every single person I've talked to calls it a tercel, I thought it might've just been like the next model Tercel that didn't get the name or something.

With those codes it doesn't sound hopeful that they'll match up eh?

:wink:

 

Heaps of people call them Tercels because they don't know that the Tercel was actually a different car to the Corolla (closer in size to the Starlet). The Tercel was never sold here in Aus except for the one 4WD wagon version, and when the AE95 came out and didn't look much like the rest of the AE9x series (front end resembles a Seca, but apart from that different) they assumed it was the next Tercel. It'd be like calling the Camry a Corona because it replaced it (first one looked vaguely similar from the front, around the same size and concept), and then assuming that parts were compatible

  • Author

Ok cool. Apparently theres nothing else in Australia with the same diff so I'll just have to see what happens with it. Thanks for the help.

Um... it is in fact a corolla hiro... the panels, doors, interior, dashboard, engine and everything else are interchangeable... same chassis, with small modifications to the floorplan for the 4wd drivetrain... hence still carrying the "E" chassis code. They were sold as the "sprinter carib" in most overseas markets.

 

I used to have an AE95 4wd and when I smacked the front end I just replaced the panels with AE92 stuff.

I currently have an AL25... and most non-4wd mechanical components are interchangeable with AE71 and AE86... with the exeption of exterior panels, and the dash which is from an EE80-82 not sold in oz.

 

The AL25 has a Y-series locker diff which will bolt into an *e7*, just as a side note...

 

I also heard a rumour the AE95 4wd diff is a T-series, but I haven't been able to confirm that as yet.

 

Hope that clears up some of the conjecture.

Um... it is in fact a corolla hiro... the panels, doors, interior, dashboard, engine and everything else are interchangeable... same chassis, with small modifications to the floorplan for the 4wd drivetrain... hence still carrying the "E" chassis code. They were sold as the "sprinter carib" in most overseas markets.

 

I know it is a Corolla, but it seems to be slightly separated from the rest of the Corollas sold here. Just because it has visual differences on the outside, doesn't mean it's not related on the inside. Just look at the AE101 and 111 Levin/Truenos.....not one body panel in common with the ADM 101/102 and 112, yet engine bays are almost identical, and obviously run same engine series/suspension/drivetrain/chassis/etc

  • 1 month later...

i have a ae95r 4wd wagon, the axle code reads E57F5-834

don't know if this helps, I'm told is a t series, but i don't know what raito.

anyone?

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.