80 Corolla Junior

trikesrule

Hi guys. The speedway team I'm with has purchased a Junior. We haven't raced it yet. Over the last couple of outings for this car it's spun so many times it's a bit of a joke. Well the laughter is coming from a corner nearby as I have to sort it. With the car up high and the wheels sitting on blocks I saw the problem straight away. The leaf springs aren't set right. To get tilt in the car they've put a straighter leaf set in the left rear. With weight on the LR leaf set is actually bending the opposite way to what it should be doing. The right side leaf set has about a 1/2" curve through out. Not much suspension allowed here. Is this a 'normal set up' on one of these cars? I can see how to fix it by resetting the springs but the ride heights look pretty close. So I asked the State Scrutineer if I may reset the springs then cut the mounts and raise them up into the cab. NO!!! Can I use lowering blocks? NO!!! Strewth - Ok Ok. So what are others doing about the leaf spring / handling issue. Quite a few of these cars have rolled over unecessarily here in Tas and the powers that be can alleviate the problem if we could just set the cars up right. At this rate they'll run out of shells in Tassie....trikes

Members dont see this ad

Hi i race juniors in Wa. You can reset the leaf springs just not cut and weld the mounts. the way you have described the springs sounds normal to me sounds just like the way our cars are setup. But what may be your issue is tyre sizing, stagger and tyre pressure. Does the car have lowered springs in the front of the car?

Edited by lappy

Hi i race juniors in Wa. You can reset the leaf springs just not cut and weld the mounts. the way you have described the springs sounds normal to me sounds just like the way our cars are setup. But what may be your issue is tyre sizing, stagger and tyre pressure. Does the car have lowered springs in the front of the car?
Hi lappy. Whats normal on these Corollas just won't work on these tracks over here cause their so rough. The rules are pretty tight in this class but I've found a way round one thing so far but I'll just have to reset the leaf springs. I want to find a weight checker like the Longacre one except without the price tag. Do u know of one? As for lowered springs, at the moment I'm not sure which is which till I get them on the coil spring rate checker. But std Corolla they ain't. Looks like one is from a Magna. I'll be in touch when I know more.........trikes

Hi again lappy. This engine has a aisan carby on it. You know the bulbous thing that screws onto the side of the carby where the fuel line attachs too. Is there supposed to be something inside that? I found out why this thing wouldn't run right for the previous owner. I was cleaning the crappy paint job off the outside of the inlet and I found a porous hole about 3/4 size of a match head in the log going to #4. Is this common - porousity in the manifolds? Need a replacement as the Tech guy said 'no repair, get another'. So I'll just have to find one.

That aisan carby is that the best type for our racing? What else is there? .........trikes

Ummmm there are quite a few choices. What to choose what to choose. Suggestions please. Keeping in mind a high venturi speed will assist this beginner (13 y/o girl with no race experience who thinks she's going to kick ass first time out- HA) driver who will hit the track in the next week or so..........trikes

What I was saying about tassie not having enough shells looks like it might happen. Another junior went over last night. Roll five times - man is it stuffed. And the kid driver got knocked out and they carted the driver off to hospital. One of the other cars also got involved and it's stuffed too. The problem with the corollas is the area behind and inside the front wheels. This area is crumpling and unless the rulemakers allow us to beef up this area there will be kids with broken legs. At the rate that these cars are improving speed wise when they go over they always have a big one. The rulemakers need to slow these cars possibly by fitting Restrictor Plates. Afterall it is supposed to be an entry level class........trikes

Edited by trikesrule

i have never herd of a corodded inlet manifold thats strange but you must keep a standard aisin carby on the car other wise it is illegal which is stated in the rule book if you have one. The cars in Wa have had no problems with the fire wall crushing anyones feet except for a direct head on into the wall once . the idea or a restrictor plate would be good on the charades but the corollas have a bad enough deal as it is trying to keep up to OHC and FWD charades

Edited by lappy

Hi guys. Um i race a 1975 2 door KE30 in WA. Hi Lappy. About that carby thing if you want to set it up properly there is two carbys you can use that are in the rules. the better of the two is a mechanical seconday carby. and then there is a vacume secondary carby. the names explain. but from experience u can set up the mechanical carby better. o and about the suspension JUST DRIVE THE THING. na um post a picture of the car showing the way the car sits on level ground and we will c what we think.

The problem with these old KE30's and KE55's are the rear end with Leaf Springs otherwise they are a well rounded race car. Slip a 3.9 bogwarner diff into the housing and reverse a couple leafs on the back but keep the back level. It might pay to get a new set of hilux shocks on the rear end as they are more suited to lower ride height.

Just keep it simple and don't let your kid forget its only for fun. Once they think its a chore its time to pull out.

Just keep it simple and don't let your kid forget its only for fun. Once they think its a chore its time to pull out.

thats the philosophy of junior sedans now if you could give u s a pic of what the car sits like , size of the race track you race on , diff ratio and tyre sizes i might be able to help you.