2t Into 4k Powered '79 Rolla Coupe

yakkmeister

Hello. Yakkmeister here.

I have the 79 Coupe, currently powered by the venerable 4K motor.

I have, on hand, a 2T motor and Celica 5Speed transmission.

The 2T I have was injected, but it will be converted to carbies.

I am looking at a datrally manifold for twin 40 DCOE webers. It's going to cost me ... $1600 for the manifold and carbies ... approximately.

Any spares people have laying about (I don't mind rebuilding the carbies if they are cheap) I am going to be interested in.

So, I have no carbies or manifold (or exhaust manifold for that matter - but that'll be a custom thing I suspect).

I need to know what mounts to use (transmission and engine)

What subframe to get (if any).

What wiring harness to use (if the 4K harness is unacceptable).

Anything at all about fitting Celica front and rear brakes (I would prefer to go disks all-round).

Fitting Celica diff - does it go in, do I need to have it shortened ... the plan is to (try to) pump the rear guards out a bit ...

Fitting rear suspension - is there coil/strut stuff that'll go in, or should I just beef us the leafs?

Fitting front suspension - I hear the Celica struts go in the front, but what else?

I am an apprentice mechanic, so all the work is doable either by me, others I work with or trade contacts.

I would like to get this done as soon as I can, since I will have to borrow a car while I fit the parts :D Fun days!

Ciao

Yakkmeister.

Members dont see this ad

I can help with a manifold for twin webers on a t series and a pair of carbs ....wont be $1600 bucks either......hmmm datrally was usually for a DATSUN and is a copy or the works nissan competion manifold. don't think it would fit but if you want one I got one of those too, actually I know it wont fit. but I'm an old smart arse.

any way

engine mounts are custom made but not that hard

extractors are half custom you can use the top half of a set of the old sonics 4into 2 into 1 that is the 4 into 2 section the make a new bottom bit. try cambletown exhaust for sonics but they probably arent called that 20 years later!!

wiring is pretty easy as most of the parts are on the same side as the k series ...you will need to do some extensions but its not that hard.

don't RUSH IT....this will take a few days so boorow the car for 2 weeks

old corolla bloke

A 2T motor is really easy to fit into KE30-55

What I used in ,y last conversion.

- TA22 Engine mounts on the standard X-member

- TA22 Pedal box bolts into KE30

- TA22/23/RA23 clutch master

- TA22 clutch slave

- AE71 gearbox X-member

- Cut down KE30 tailshaft (30mm shorter)

- TA22 T50 gearbox

Umm I think thats it, if I have missed anything let me know.

- TA22 clutch slave

- AE71 gearbox X-member

- TA22 T50 gearbox

that is definatly correct!!!!!!!! :D

I am looking at a datrally manifold for twin 40 DCOE webers. It's going to cost me ... $1600 for the manifold and carbies ... approximately.

You could probably buy brand new for less......

And correct, Datrally manifolds are for L-series motors.

- TA22 clutch slave

- AE71 gearbox X-member

- TA22 T50 gearbox

so you used the standard rubber section of the mount? didnt you have to remake the steel section that bolts to the block?

i remember the angle was wrong and the rubber would die after a short time........maybe you did some thing different to me

The TA22 rubber section was used, and the steel sections were fine as standard. In the 2 years I had the car I never had a problem with this conversion, not even when I went 3T-C.

In regards to suspension here are some ideas for you

1. Using standard Girlock callipers and PBR discs

DBA make a slotted disc.

VN rear disc pads fit in Girlock front callipers, Bendix make a wider variety of pads for the VN commo than the rolla.

If a PBR master cylinder is fitted then you can upgrade to a VN master, its either a 15/16" or 1" master.

2. Using MX62/MX73 Cressida front struts

Oval out the rear hole for the steering arm (approximately 3mm) to create a slot, the front hole stay intact.

Use KE30 top spring plate and strut tops

KE 30 spirngs can be used but a pair of custom springs would be better.

Short stroke shock are available.

MX rubber brake lines bolt onto KE30 metal lines.

If a PBR master cylinder is fitted then you can upgrade to a VN master, its either a 15/16" or 1" master.

You then have the added advantage of; larger vented brakes, larger wheel bearing to support larger wider wheel.

For the rear, I suggest one of two options.

1. Add extra leafs to the rear

2. Purchase a new set of leafs from Aurora Springs in SA, you can buy them reset lowered too.

3 For rear shocks contact AJPS about the rear shock in their panel van, they should be alright in any KE.

AJPS can be contacted on 0407 716 089 or [email protected]

Cheers Dale J

... wow

You guys are way too good for me!!

Don't rush? I don't really want to rush, I did use the wrong tome there. The idea is that I don't want to have the car off the road for months while it's a work in progress.

I am planning on using 4-1 extractors on the 2T ... I think that's a custom thing ... Thanks so much for the info though; may still got the tri-y route.

The 2T has a celica steel box on it; I assume that's what the TA22 T50 gearbox is?

That means the clutch needs hydraulic-izing ... cool.

So the TA22 engine mounts will bolt the 2t engine onto the corolla Xmember?

Does this mean that I can use the stock diff?

The front strut setup is pretty complicated there... is this the best way? There isn't a simpler way? (not a huge problem, just thinking about when parts need to be replaced)

Looks like it's a good idea though.

I will be collating and printing this gear off asap!!

Oh, old corolla bloke - I was wondering about that manifold ... I thought Datrally only did datsun too, but aparenly not ... no matter ...

How much did you want for the parts you have? They are pretty much next on my list of 'must get' parts.

... wow

You guys are way too good for me!!

Don't rush? I don't really want to rush, I did use the wrong tome there. The idea is that I don't want to have the car off the road for months while it's a work in progress.

I am planning on using 4-1 extractors on the 2T ... I think that's a custom thing ... Thanks so much for the info though; may still got the tri-y route.

The 2T has a celica steel box on it; I assume that's what the TA22 T50 gearbox is?

That means the clutch needs hydraulic-izing ... cool.

So the TA22 engine mounts will bolt the 2t engine onto the corolla Xmember?

Does this mean that I can use the stock diff?

The front strut setup is pretty complicated there... is this the best way? There isn't a simpler way? (not a huge problem, just thinking about when parts need to be replaced)

Looks like it's a good idea though.

I will be collating and printing this gear off asap!!

Oh, old corolla bloke - I was wondering about that manifold ... I thought Datrally only did datsun too, but aparenly not ... no matter ...

How much did you want for the parts you have? They are pretty much next on my list of 'must get' parts.

pm sent

old corolla bloke

ta22 pedal box does not bolt in.

if you look up johnny rochester on this site or just google his name you will find that you will need to modify the crossmember to use the standard steel engine mounts.

ta22 rubber mounts fit fine.

ive put ra40 struts into my ke35 with the lower spring mounts cut off and the ke35 ones welded on, the strut tops are standard corolla.

use you ke pedal box and modify it to except a hydraulic system.

a ta22 pedal box does come in handy for this though.

ive also put a ta23 T series diff into the rear. only drums but hey. better than the stock tooth pic.

hope this helps.

also old rolla bloke knows his shit.

peace