Aftermarket Ecu

butty

Members dont see this ad

When you say aftermarket chip, do you mean a remapped standard ECU? Or are you looking for a standalone aftermarket? The factory 4A ecu's run great in my experience, unless you're going turbo / quad throttles/ or monster cams. I recently bought an adaptronic ecu for my 20V project, and I'm amazed by what the little beast can do. What you got planned for you motor?

Adaptronic home

i'm not really sure what i want because i really know nothing about them. Some people i was talking too told me,

with out actually changing anything mechanical to the motor it's self....

I could get it to run better by changing the computer or the ecu or what ever it's called.

an aftermarket ecu lets you change your fuel injection cycles and air fuel maps. most factory tuned ecus are very 'softly' done as to not damage the engine. with more agressive tuning you can get a fair bit more power out of a standard engine, but at a heavily incresed risk of catastrophic failure.

ie, with a decent exhaust, intake and ecu map i could add almost 45% more power to the liberty. the engine however will need a rebuild in 3 months...

mmm

Edited by Wood§tok

well catastrophic failure isn't exactly the outcome i'm after. haha do you have any addvice of what i should do to it. its all ready got a k&n and extractors and exhausted. and its done 224000 km so dunno if that means its dying or not?

45% is a huge gain, sounds a little unrealistic. There's no way you'd gain that much on a 4A with an aftermarket. ie 100kw to 145kw, that's comparable to what a beams 3S will produce.

It might be worth getting a compression tester to work out the wear of your motor before spending up on an aftermarket. FYI more than 20psi difference between cylinders will mean you need a freshen up or a rebuild. With a freshly built bigport 4A in an offroad racer (suzuki sierra) running a standard ecu, my housmate can pull away from import 20V's on autronic's, and even 4AGZE's.

Catastrophic Failure, come on people, are you the same people who didnt like efi so much that we missed out on some great efi engines in this country. It definately has more to do with the state of your motor, than the tuning. How come all these 9 second drag skylines and supras run aftermarket ecus? They have an agressive tune for sure but the don't blow up because they are usually fully rebuilt engines. Very good point brad. We all know you can be too agressive with tuning, its very tempting, but its the same as winding the boost up, we know our motors have limits, don't we? You can just use a fairly mild tune an daily drive the car, how is it any worse than a standard ecu?