3t-g Help Needed!!!!!!!!!

Hey all, long story cut short, i just put a 3t-g into my ke30, the engine has been completely rebuilt EXCEPT the only items they couldnt buy brand new were-

>cam gears

>timing chain guides

They said they were in good enough condition to reuse.

Problem is when i drive the car 100km distance or so, the timing chain loses tension, so i have to adjust the tensioner to take the slack of the timing chain, and now after doing this several times i have run out of adjustment on the tensioner and can't be done anymore. what do i do?????????? what keeps causing this????????????? is the new chain wearing itself to suit the old sprokets?????????

Any thoughts, ideas, feedback would be greatly appreciated in helping me solve this problem!

Thanks!!!!!!

Members dont see this ad

Hi phatke30,

This should not happen after you have run the engine hot and checked the timing of the cams to make sure all is where they should be. The only way that the chain makes a noise is when the chain tensioner that is fed from the oil pressure side is not coming out enough and the slack rattles about. The book says to wind the locking nut up so that you it is tight when the engine is not running and then back it of so you have avout .5mm free play.

Maybe you need to service the tensioner? Could be a blockage causing it not to extend out.

The chain guides i ended up bolting on some PTFE blocks where the worn away sections were to replace these and it helps with the friction as well.

Let me know as i have a couple of spare sets of cam wheels if you need them replaced.

David

hi there D.Mckiggan, ive already had the engine sorted out in the cam shafts depaertment, on my engine they have 4 different location points on each cam shaft, too a while but they got the timing correct with them, also i don't suppose you could email me a copy of the info on the timing setup? like the tensioners and runners? ive only ever played around with k motors, t series engines are completely new to me,

thakyou.

hi there D.Mckiggan, ive already had the engine sorted out in the cam shafts depaertment, on my engine they have 4 different location points on each cam shaft, too a while but they got the timing correct with them, also i don't suppose you could email me a copy of the info on the timing setup? like the tensioners and runners? ive only ever played around with k motors, t series engines are completely new to me,

thakyou.

No worries,

I can scan the pages to .pdf from the manual with the timing of top chains to the dummy cam shaft to the bottom end. It shows where all should be when you set your engine at TDC.

What email address do you want it sent to?

DMC.

Pm sent! :hmm: :S

Hi Mat,

Have emailed the pages form the workshop manual on 2T-G engines. The manual itself is quite large so if you need any other help in other area's just pm / email me.

Hope this helps. If anyone else would like a copy i could Zip it up and post it somewhere on here where it should belong.

Let me know if it was helpful or not.

DMC.

• 1 month later...

also 3tgte have the same chain and chain guides as 2tg. i have ordered new guides through my local toyota and the part numbers are 2tg 88220 spec ie the very first 2tg. as to availability I'm not sure anymore as this was a year ago and toyota have recently stopped listing the A6# model celica's where most 2tgeu/3tgte parts come from. chain guides retailed around nz$220ea ex japan :dance: and theres 3 of em

the top guide is usually fine to reuse.. the one on the hydraulic tensioner is often the worst.

check the underside of the cam cover above the cam pulley area. the rattle could be the chain hitting the cam cover from either slack chain or not using the rubber gasket which is about 2mm+ thick.