Setting Up Twin Dellortos

Hey guys

I've had a set of twin dellortos on my 5k (mild cam, head shave, extractors, mild port job) and recently pulled them off to fix the air leak between the manifold and the head. The manifold was faced as well so shouldnt be warped.

So basically i have a couple of questions.

1. What sort of bolt have you used for the front and back as their is sweet f^&* all clearance? So far ive tried using an allen-key bolt and used a sawn off allen key. But this doesnt seem to be a very good solution.

2. Has anyone else had a similar problem where the manifold just won't seal and how did you fix it?

3. any other tips for setting up twin dellortos?

As it is I'm thinking the head may be warped and will possibly need facing but id prefer not to remove the head.

Thanks

Justin

Members dont see this ad
Hey guys

I've had a set of twin dellortos on my 5k (mild cam, head shave, extractors, mild port job) and recently pulled them off to fix the air leak between the manifold and the head. The manifold was faced as well so shouldnt be warped.

So basically i have a couple of questions.

1. What sort of bolt have you used for the front and back as their is sweet f^&* all clearance? So far ive tried using an allen-key bolt and used a sawn off allen key. But this doesnt seem to be a very good solution.

2. Has anyone else had a similar problem where the manifold just won't seal and how did you fix it?

3. any other tips for setting up twin dellortos?

As it is I'm thinking the head may be warped and will possibly need facing but id prefer not to remove the head.

Thanks

Justin

Are these my old dellortos if so i have nver had any issues other than the exhaust manifold is thicker than the inlet and what you need to do is use half washers on the inlet side to space it up so it pulls on the inlet and exhaust evenly.

And ive got a special spanner for doing the back bolt up.

My setup still has a problem with #2/3 exhaust ports matching to the head properly. The bolts have a bad habbit of unwinding, they have a 14mm head and I had to customise a spanner to be able to tighten or undo the bolts.. My setup uses offset washers to put pressure on the extractors as they are not as thick as the intake manifold..

I had about 4mm shaved off the face of my manifold, to bring it down to the same thickness as my extractors. Then there is no need to use special washers etc.

I use a bigport 'extractor' gasket. Its just a metal gasket and is about twice the thickness of the standard paper style gasket.

I have tried Genuine Toyota gaskets, and found them to be useless.

Instead of using bolts, i have fitted threaded studs to all the locations in the head. Then its just a case of slipping the manifolds onto the studs and tightening up a nut and washer onto each stud.

Its still a pain in the butt to get to two nuts (the middle ones) because of the design of my extactors and the manifold. I can get a 14mm spanner onto them, but its a slow process as i can only get a partial rotation before the spanner hits something.

I'm keen to try another method too, if someone has come up with an easier approach.

They came off again tonight and it looks like there is a couple of high spots on the head. So trying with 2 new extractor gaskets on monday cause i need the car for the weekend. Back to stock carby power haah.

I'll keep you posted.

If anyone else has anything to add please feel free.

One word guys, Loctite.

Smelly

I just use spring washers. Never had an issue with bolts actually come loose with my method.

A bloke I work with drives an old Alfa. The sidedrafts on those engines have a metal prop that supports the carbs. I think it just bolts from the block and to the airfilter. It just helps to support the weight of the carbs, and prevents the carbs from shaking themselves loose. It seems to work for that design of engine.

Found part of my problem today when I went to fix my gasket. Turns out the bolt on #4 exhaust was GONE! Pulled everything apart, Cleaned it, goo'd gasket, loctited bolts, tightened it, warmed it up, retightened it. So hopefully now its fixed the problem.. Will upload some pics of what the gasket looked like when my internet is no longer capped..