Ke20 Automatic - Change To Manual 5 Speed?

Shackas

Hi all,

I just picked up a very pretty 1974 KE20 with Automatic gbox. How hard will it be to change it over to manual using a KE55 5 speed box?

I know I've got to move the shifter hole, but is everything else (pretty much) a drop-in replacement?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Members dont see this ad
Hi all,

I just picked up a very pretty 1974 KE20 with Automatic gbox. How hard will it be to change it over to manual using a KE55 5 speed box?

I know I've got to move the shifter hole, but is everything else (pretty much) a drop-in replacement?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

You shouldn't have to move the shifter hole with that gearbox. Only have to move the hole back if using a Ke70 5 Speed.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Dave

If your anywhere near canberra I'll take the auto box off your hands...

Yeah mate ive done it. Easy as really, I'd suggest going with the ke70 box anyway as a) their plentiful and b)the shifter position is great. Just grab a ke20 manual tailshaft and it bolts right in. I think you may have to redrill the gearbox crossmember as well if i remember correctly.

The pedal box isnt particularly easy to change but still acheivable. Apart from that you will have to sort some thing out with the wiring otherwise it wont start due to the auto gearbox that wont start while its in drive etc.

Good luck mate.

find the two wires associated with the auto gearbox and you have an immobiliser!! a friend of mine wired them to a magnetic reed switch under the carpet and then holds another magnet on the carpet at the particular spot to start his car.

Quote from my project thread:

UPDATE

Car is now manual, its got the KE70 K40 that was in my KE55 in it, Goes much better

than the 2 speed auto .

For anyone doing this conversion:

NOTE

- Auto and manual tailshafts in KE2X are the same and so are Crossmembers and Speedo cables.

- Late model gearboxes (KE70) have one bolt hole that doesnt line up with 3Ks.

- KE7x Shifter position almost lines up with the auto tunnel hole, but you still need to cut a bit, KE2X shifter position you will definitely have to cut a new hole.

- If using KE7X extension housing you need to drill 2 new holes in crossmember for gbox mount.

Did i mention, i really hate putting pedal boxes in

wtf KE2X wiper motors are bolted on top of pedal box

Cheers, Rob

Thanks guys.

Following on, does anyone know where (a) I can get a KE55 5-speed box, and (b) the changover done (e.g. tailshaft mods)?

You can get a KE55 5 speed box from a KE55 funnily enough, and the changeover can be done in your driveway.

Since we have NO idea where you are, how the hell can we tell you where to get mechanical work done? Try having a think about the questions you are asking, and maybe even doing some research or having a go at something yourself before you ask everyone to do everything for you.