2007 Corolla

Des

Novate the lease and get the GTi or the SP23... well worth an extra $20 a week out of your pocket to drive something other than the cooking model... The ride and trim in the SP is much better than the NEO or MAX... The MPS is fun but you can buy better for that kinda money.

The GTi is still a a bit of a fatty boomsticks for a hatch (and you'll gaze longingly at every VR6 that drives past) but quite a nice place to be in for daily puttering with the odd squirt at the lights. I owned the last gen GTi and I loved the quality (even though I had some warranty issues) and although you'll quite comfortably dust commodores to 100kph without using 3rd, there's no real excitement or visceral ooomph. Its just toooo refined and tractable.

Tiida... *bluurgh* Its a rebadged Renault. 'nuff said ;)

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

but mazda 3s are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO boring. I find them even more boring than a commodore now and thats never a good thing. GTi has much better build quality (in apearence at least) and not every 19yo girl with daddys money has one.

mmm.

ps. red dwarf - get a liberty. ;)

Edited by Wood§tok

but mazda 3s are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO boring. I find them even more boring than a commodore now and thats never a good thing. GTi has much better build quality (in apearence at least) and not every 19yo girl with daddys money has one.

mmm.

ps. red dwarf - get a liberty. ;)

GTi is also 14K more expensive.

Would love a Liberty, but Mrs Dwarf is .... erm...... under tall, so she prefers smaller cars.

19 yo's with Daddy's money tend to buy Hyundai's or, if they're feeling upmarket, a Lancer.

ooooh! then you can get altezza style clear tail lights!

Hmmm.... the small car market really is overwhelmed with mediocrity these days isn't it.

EDIT: In this country at least....

Click

Small, hatch, less than 30K, not a biegemobile ;)

Edited by 7shades

libertys are small. lol. as far as a mid sized car goes its the smallest. my wife is in the lower altitudes as well and she loves driving it because it eats girly cars.

cheers.

ps WOW this thread is way offtopic! ontopic, the new rolla looks like a mazda 3. read previous posts for my opinion on those.

Edited by Wood§tok

WHAT!?! It most definitely does NOT look like a Mazda3 - the Mazda3 has a cohesive design, whereas the Corolla has obviously had bits copied from here, there, and everywhere. The front is okay, but the rear is SHIT! Plus it weighs more than the old model because it's so closely related to the new RAV4, and due to the new improved rear suspension. Unfortunately we don't get that new improved rear suspension over here, still torsion beam, but we have to put up with the increased weight of the extra bracing to support said suspension.

I might be able to over look the shitty looks of the car if it were available with the 4WD & IRS of the JDM version, and an engine with 220+hp and 350+Nm, but until it is, I still think it's a waste of time. I'll just have to take solace in the fact that my 2003 Corolla is the fastest accelerating base-model Corolla of all time. Equal power and only a bit less torque than the new model, but 150kg less kerb weight. ;)

Really? I thought they were lighter.... They look smaller anyway.

Took a couple for a quick strap this arvo after our little chat (courtesy the boys at toyota next to my shed shhh don't tell the boss) and I reckon I still like em. Arse end doesn't bother me too much, but I suppose the tail lights could be slightly more profiled so as to look less like hemorhoids.

Base model looks a bit average (ignore white contact transit covers)

post-1955-1181637504_thumb.jpg

Conquest looks MUCH nicer in the metal, has alloys, foggies, and a boot spoiler. Wheels really make a difference. My dog approves.

post-1955-1181637756_thumb.jpg

Has the "conventional" interior as well. Not overly exciting but pleasant enough. Instrument cluster is cool and looks wicked at night.

post-1955-1181637933_thumb.jpg

I'd still own one... if for no other reason than I could sell it in 2 years and still get 16k with 50k on the clock.

Edited by 7shades

Arse end doesn't bother me too much, but I suppose the tail lights could be slightly more profiled so as to look less like hemorhoids.

Sorry, I meant the rear on the hatch. The sedan is okay, just boring.

Has the "conventional" interior as well. Not overly exciting but pleasant enough. Instrument cluster is cool and looks wicked at night.

The reason the sedan has a 'conventional' interior is because it's the old model with the new drivetrain. Don't believe me? Compare the exterior of the old ZZE sedan with the new ZRE sedan from the A-pillar back to the C-pillar. Exactly the same??? Of course. I think even the door skins (exterior sheet metal) are the same. It's just a major model upgrade, with the redesigned bonnet, headlights & front bar, front & rear quarter panels, boot, and interior. And engine & transmission. The rest will all be the same (front suspension might be slightly different, but not by much). When aftermarket products (eg. springs, brake pads etc) start to be released for this model we'll be able to be more certain, but I'm pretty confident that I'm right about the sedan being an update, not a completely new model.

Edited by ancullen

Yeah you're right... toyota lads reckon sedan is an update only. Doors are indentical.

They also reckon there's rumours of a diesel variant... any word on that little tidbit Mr. Ancullen, our illustrious tome of corolla wisdom?

The following specs are all for manual five doors:

Auris (UK market range)

Engine | Capacity | Fuel | Power | Torque | 0-62mph | Fuel consumption

4ZZ-FE | 1.4L | Petrol | 71kW | 130Nm | 13 seconds | 6.9L/100km

1ND-TV | 1.4L | Diesel | 66kW | 190Nm | 12 seconds | 5.0L/100km

1ZR-FE | 1.6L | Petrol | 91kW | 157Nm | 10.4 seconds | 7.1L/100km

1AD-FTV | 2.0L | Diesel | 93kW | 300Nm | 10.3 seconds | 5.4L/100km

2AD-FHV | 2.2L | Diesel | 130kW | 400Nm | 8.1 seconds | 6.2L/100km

Corolla (Aus market 1.8L petrol)

Engine | Capacity | Fuel | Power | Torque | 0-62mph | Fuel consumption

2ZR-FE | 1.8L | Petrol | 100kW | 175Nm | 9.7 seconds | 7.4L/100km

In Europe diesels are HUGELY popular, whereas over here they are only just starting to really take off. I think it is likely that only one diesel option would be released here in Australia. I doubt Toyota Australia would bother with the 1.4L diesel, as the improvement in fuel economy over the other models is marginal, but there is a significant decrease in performance, and people are already bitching that the petrol Corolla's acceleration leaves something to be desired. My bet would be on the 2.0L diesel, as I don't think many people are ready to consider a diesel a performance variant, so the 130kW version would be a waste of time (I'd be interested in trying it out though). Plus the significantly better fuel economy of the 2.0L version (versus the 2.2L) would be a stronger selling point, while only losing 0.6 of a second in 0-100km/h accleration against the petrol.

Edited by ancullen

UPDATE: Just noticed that the European Auris comes with the same double-wishbone rear suspension as the Japanese market Blade, so it weighs more than the Australian market Corolla. Looking at the kerb weights, the lightest five door Auris (the 1.4L petrol) weighs 1270kg, and the heaviest (the 2.2L diesel) weighs 1470kg. The Australian Corolla weighs between 1225 and 1280kg (depending on variant and transmission). Therefore using the diesel engines in the Australian version would probably give quicker acceleration times and improved fuel economy, making the 2.0L an even more likely option.

Edited by ancullen

Hey guess what... I was just down at the shed again and the toyota boys let me in on a little secret....

The AWD 200kw version WILL be released in AU in 2009 as a TRD badged "sportivo" (like the Aurion) and will be marketed squarely as a competitor to the WRX... there will be two sportivo variants with the option of a supercharger! Apparently this is toyota's new sportscar push following the demise of the celica and mr2...

I'm excited ;)