I'm Lost...

Chahlie

Hey all. I just bought me a 1981 Corolla SR-5 Levin. I was told it's the TE-71, but haven't been able to find parts for it. I was also told parts from the AE86 would bolt up from the suspension up. I guess my question is, how accurate is this info? I JUST got it and need some major parts, but based on the info i've been given, i can't find the parts. I need a new tranny ( or just re-geared) and possibly a rear differential. I've scoured the internet every day for a month now... no dice.

Can anyone help? :)

Members dont see this ad

He's here in the US; no such thing as a KE70 here.

Hello from jOklahoma, like androo said; you have a TE72. It should have a 3TC and T40/T50 trans. basically it's just an '81 corolla liftback as far as getting parts goes. Let me know what you need; Bubba is still sitting in the scrapyard full of good parts

I see. I do need a tranny and possibly the differential. Tranny is for sure... 4th likes to pop out when i hit rough spots... plus in any other gear than 4th, i get this HORRIBLE grinding noise from under my floorpans... It would make sense the guy didn't have the model right... he was an idiot. I don't have a digital camera, so I'm limited as to how to post pics... There's a thread on here that shows the exact car i have minus the twin cam, though i can't find it again. Thanks for the info all!

why so sure its a 72?

anyway, to actually find out for yourself, check the VIN number, thats on the firewall, under the bonnet at the back of the engine bay.

should start with TE71 or TE72 or something like that.

4th jumping out may be detent springs, and is fixable

grinding noises could be a bearing in the driveline somewhere, maybe the one in the cente of the tailshaft, or something out of balance.

don't go replacing things until you know your problems :evil:

Is it a grey market car? I.E. bought in Japan and brought over here. Or was it originally bought here. In Aus. they were called a T-18; one these guys could clue you in better on that. Bubba has a good 5 speed (T50) and a good 3rd member, but it's got 4.10s, so it does 73 mph @4,000 rpm.

Grinding noise is probably countershaft bearings as evinced by the quiet 4th gear (1:1 ratio) popping out is probably due to the extra clearance in those bearings or like Love ke 70 said, detent springs. Either way, I'd say you're gonna be walking soon.

Checked the VIN today... it is a grey market car and it's a TE72. That part never occured to me to look at lol. Thanks guys... I'll see if i can't get pics/stats up for it... it's freakin' sweet.

Would you by chance have either of those parts mike? i HATE trying to find them...