Ke20 Steering Vibration At 60km/hr

WhyKe10

Like the title says, it only happens at around 60km/hr then dissappears. It is probably the worst vibration I have ever seen.

I put a different set of wheels off my ke10 on and that had no effect (they wheels off the ke10 may not be balanced) I guess i really should spend some money and get the wheels balanced first. But say its not the wheels, where do I start? Is there a common problem that will save me hours of time (& money) wasting? (probably not because search turned up nothing)

I was planning on replacing the hub bearings and checking the callipers. I have had a good look under the car and can't see or feel anything loose in the steering. The fact that it only happens around 60 makes me think its a balance problem (but I'm no mechanic so thats basically a guess). Does the steering box itself ever pack it in? or is it more likely a ball joint or bearing?

Any help I'm sure will save time.

Thanks

Grant

Members dont see this ad

Had a similar problem once in the rx4, except it happened at 80kmh, gone at 75 or 90, just right on 80, which really sucks when you're on your P's!!

anyway, sent it in for a wheel balance and allignment, which was done and the shake was still there. Guys in the shop said it was casued by the tyres! Because the rx has a little camber, inside were past the tread wears, but the outsides were still legal. This imbalance in the tyre was causing the shake!! Put brand new tyres on her and the shake was gone for good. :evil:

If I were you, I'd deffinenatly be looking at wheel AND TYRE balance first, if possible, buy some new front tyres. If you've still got it after then, then look further abroud. :D

yeah if they tyres are unbalanced it can cause shake in the steering farly bad. that and wheel alignment. there are ways to check wheel bearings/ball joints..

a balance even on worn tyres can grately reduce this. if your after some good used tyres and your in tassie give me a yell and i can get some for you cheap.

the ballence is REALLY important. ive had people say ballence doesnt matter becuase they only use 5 - 30 gram pieces to fix it, and 5 - 30 grams wont make much difference right?... due to centripital force, 10 grams spinning at about 60 ks an hour ends up weighing about 3000 times heavier. now do you think you would notice 30 kilos of weight spinning off centre? I'm sure my maths is WAAAAAAY off but it still makes a massive difference once something starts spinning fast enough.

It turns out in the mayhem of wheel changing, the car somehow ended up with the same wheels on the front which were the problem, A massive flat spot will do that.

Relieved I don't have to fix anything, but i still can't figure out how those wheels didnt get rotated.... strange.

thanks guys

Grant

Gidday, Ive got a KE30 and it seems I have the exact same problem, huge vibration at 50-60km/h. I haven't checked the tyres lately, but I have locked the fronts up a few times. Are flat spots them most likely problem?

Shitty old tires, Unbalanced wheels and flogged out bushes are the main cause's of vibrations.

Yes flat spots make vibrations.

Okay, mine probably have all of those haha. If i get time at work, I'll put it on the hoist and check em out. Thanks

Deffinatly check the tyres out. I only started this thread because I though i tested the car with good/balanced wheels. I couldnt believe how big the flat spot was (probably from the car sitting still for 2+yrs), I'm surprised the vibration was only at 60km/hr and not the whole time :y: If the tyres are old and worn, treat yourself to a new pair, $45 each fitted and balanced!

Deffinatly check the tyres out. I only started this thread because I though i tested the car with good/balanced wheels. I couldnt believe how big the flat spot was (probably from the car sitting still for 2+yrs), I'm surprised the vibration was only at 60km/hr and not the whole time :y: If the tyres are old and worn, treat yourself to a new pair, $45 each fitted and balanced!

$45 each fitted and balanced??? Where's that at? My current tyres are 165/75's. Could I buy just that size tyre for real cheap? Because then I could just fit them to my current wheels at work for nuthin!

I originally wouldn't have thought that tyres get flat spots that easily.

• 2 weeks later...
$45 each fitted and balanced??? Where's that at? My current tyres are 165/75's. Could I buy just that size tyre for real cheap? Because then I could just fit them to my current wheels at work for nuthin!

I originally wouldn't have thought that tyres get flat spots that easily.

$45 fitted and balanced were for 155/80/12, I didnt know they made 165/75/12's (and I would expect they would be more expencive because they are less common). I just got some 175/70/13 (because of the ke55 brake upgrade) for $55 each.

The shop was Tyre Zone Cleveland

123 Russell St

CLEVELAND 4163

Ph 07 3488 2690

Cheers

grant

It's all good, got it sorted.

The driver's side inner tie rod end was completely buggered. Brand new one costs $33 retail, I got it for $18 trade price :hmm:

Fitted it, no more rattle at all. My uncle showed me how to do a wheel alignment with four tools, no machines or anything like that. Steers like a dream :wink: