Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

CAMS talk

Featured Replies

Really? Very disappointing that CAMS take your money like that. They did it for me when I upgraded from the NRL to the IDL. And it was a substantial saving, something like $150+

 

did you ring BRD?

  • Replies 42
  • Views 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a dislike of CAMS. I fail to see who gave them permission to "control" all of the motorsports. I dunno.

You're not the only one.

 

There are clubs that aren't affliated with CAMS and good luck to them. Unfortunately you pretty much are forced to have a governing body if you want insurance. Insurance is pretty important if you want to protect yourself, your family, spectators etc from anything happening!

 

BUT having said that, I'm not the greatest fan of CAMS either. They do not seem to fully understand the very entry level motorsports - what they really involve and the types of people who are involved in them. It seems that much of CAMS policy assumes that everyone wants to be a professional V8 supercar driver!!

 

But for the record, all my dealings with people in the Brisbane CAMS office have been extremely good.

 

It's a controversial topic, are you sure you wanted to open that can of worms Irokin?

Grim - good point.

 

I guess there is a lot of anger with CAMS that comes from the belief that CAMS should be a non-profit organisation set up to help competitors.

 

CAMS are probably never going to be popular because they are supposed to simultaneously:

 

(a) look after it's members

(b) but must make a profit

© and have strong links to government

I think the fact that its a business not a non-profit organisation is where the problem lies. If they were a non-profit organisation perhaps there would be interest in entry level motorsports and perhaps channeling funds generated by the V8 Supercars et al (eg Carerra GT Cup) into these entry level motorsports as this is where the future drivers are coming from. Of course its not possible to please everyone (and I'm sure the bosses of CAMS wouldnt like it being changed into a NPO).

 

I think I'll stop there...caws yea this could blow out of proportion. I guess we just gotta accept what IS and live with it. Sigh, Thank god CAMS can't touch drag racing. I think CAMS should take a good look at ANDRA and try and emulate them. oh yea I was gonna stop....ok I'm finished

  • Author

Went to the CAMS office in Milton, and Lisa is so much nicer to talk to face to face than Terry in Melbourne over the phone. In any case, I got my 2S licence refunded, they said CAMS doesn't really have a policy about this, but if your licence is like a month or so old then they usually give you a refund, just to be nice, even though when you apply for a new licence you get a full 12 months again. Now I just hope the Malaysian side will respond quickly and that I'll get the licence soon. Lisa's faxed it down to Melbourne (and it'll actually go into express post on Friday) and attached a note that it HAS to be back to me before the 25th of next month...

 

I've also managed to skip the rally lecture, they had my name on the attendance list in 2002.

 

AND, I've also managed to get a signature for an OLT for Queensland Challenge, YAY. So yes, 1 more signature on Sunday, and I'm all systems GO!

 

Have not called BRD yet, tried this morning but didn't get an answer. Might try again after this. John @ GP Cars has an ERG one for $500... tempting tempting but I somehow think not much is going to come close to DemonTweaks for price.

  • Author

Just ordered all my stuff. Bought the nomex 'jammys from Extreme Motorsport today cause they had a sale. Spoke to the guys at Demon Tweaks, they're friendly and helpful, and everything I ordered was in stock so *apparently* it should arrive to me in about 1-2 days. Haha, yeah right. Oh well, if it gets to me sometime next week I'll be happy :)

$481 in $AUS?????? WOW that is REALLY cheap

 

Sounds like it is all falling into place for you now Fook - good stuff!!!

 

YAY!

  • Author

Irokin: I don't think I have much to worry about in that department, I haven't grown AT ALL in about... 8 years???

 

Mel: Yes, AUS481, or USD343. Mind you that is not inc tax or shipping. Tax I would assume to be about 10%, shipping for the lot is estimated at AUD76.

 

So even if I assumed that shipping for everything else was completely free, it would still only be AUD605 for the suit, which is still a good $300+ cheaper than I can get it here...

 

Now I just wish I had more money to spend on the underwear section... I'm thinking wearing the same 'jammys and socks for 4 days is going to be a REAL drag (bring lotsa those wet wipes things and deodorant!). Under Mr Rob's advice I took the luxury of buying 2 balaclavas, so that will be a bit better... But still. Am completely breaking the bank here so I think I'll just have to hope I don't sweat too much...

I didn't feel the need for jammies at Targa - mind you it was v.cold in Tassie. I agree that the balaclavas are good value, but the jammies I think are just spoiling yourself!! Treat your suit to a dry clean if you're super worried!!

  • Author

Mel: The sup regs are worded like this:

 

During all special stages, competition category crews shall wear flame retardant driving suits, a separate balaclava, T-shirt and underwear of cotton, wool or other material to ISO6940 or ISO15025:2000, and flame retardant boot and socks, word as their manufacturer intended and are the minimum apparel requirements for both crew members

 

This, I took, to mean driving suit, balaclava, underwear, boots and socks to ISO6940 (which is pretty much FIA), however I didn't understand the T-shirt bit. Do they mean a T-shirt that is also ISO6940 compliant? Did they just mean underwear as in like... briefs?

 

In all the catalogues I looked at "underwear" seemed to mean both top and bottom, with the tops coming in both short (t-shirt?) and long sleeve, and all the sets (which are cheaper) come with a long sleeve so that's what I got.

 

I dunno, maybe I misunderstood it?

  • Author

Had my car scrutineered today for the khanacross on the weekend, and was talking to the scrutineer (John Kingcott) about ECT as he just scrutineered a car for that yesterday, and he recons (but he did say to check with the organisers first) that if I'm wearing a 2 layer suit I shouldn't need to wear 'jammys at all. Yay :)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.