Overheating + Heater Not Working

rjenman

Gday

My KE70 runs fine, but randomly the heater stops working and the engine runs hot.

Randomly the heater will start working again, and the car will not run hot anymore.

Can anyone suggest as to what the hell is going on with my car?

:D

p.s. there is also a swishing sound like a lot of water moving, mainly during startup. I can't pinpoint exactly where the swishing comes from. It comes from the front of the car...

Members dont see this ad
p.s. there is also a swishing sound like a lot of water moving, mainly during startup. I can't pinpoint exactly where the swishing comes from. It comes from the front of the car...

Sounds like there's air in the system, causing an air lock once warmed up (ie. water stops circulating)

Check to see if fluid needs topping up, run engine without radiator cap on till it starts warming up and bubbling out, this should clear out any air in system, top up till full and put cap back on.

If there's a continued coolant loss, may indicate further problems.

If not the case, check water pump.

Phife makes a good suggestion there - you should always run it with the cap off until the thermostat opens up, as you will just about always get a drop in water level.

Also, how hot is "running hot"? ie is the car boiling?

and are you losing much water over a week etc?

Squeeze the bottom hose while it heats up with the cap off too. Speeds it up a bit when theres air to expel. If the only temperature gauge you have is the factory one you know its fiction right?

Edit: Beerhead reckons turn the heater on while you fill and run the air out of the cooling system.

Goo luck.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit