New Ae82 Member - Rolla Photos And Suggestions?

Lugo

Fantastic news about Grandpas fleet of rollas!! I suggest you have a little read through some of the threads in rides and projects. There are some really fun times to be had in the rwd corollas which were the majority of cars sold in 1983. If you are really lucky then pops will have a 1.6 litre 4a powered rwd ae71 for you to swap the fwd one for. Then you are about 1000 dollars away from 4age rwd bliss!!! Well thats what I would do. I totally understand if you are into fwding. Each to their own. Please take the time to have a good long search through the forums on this site and read about 4ages and ae82s and ae86s and ae71s and ke70s.

Nah they are all FWD, both have the 1.3L Carby, mines got the newer 1.6L and to be honest, I'd be fed up with driving it if it was a 1.3L, the 1.6L barely has sufficient juice for me. BTW, when this car gets replaced, it won't be another rolla (sorry to break everyones heart), they're just a bit too small for me to drive completely comfortably, and I want something with a lot more kick. So unless I can afford a brand new rolla (donations?) it'll be something bigger......being 6ft I can't actually drive either of pa's other rollas, so its this one or nothing anyway.

Went down to Toyrolla to see about the cluster and clock, and was rather surprised with the price, $35-40 per item! You've got to be kidding me if the digital dash clock is worth $40! I kindly thanked the man for his help (I might add a very emotionless fellow, I think he was half asleep or something haha) and left.....

Might try pick-a-part later this week, have a wander round and see whats findable. I'll pay maybe $10 for the clock, and I guess $20 or so for the cluster, tops.

Wish me luck!

Members dont see this ad

I dunno about the other '83 rolla's but there is plenty of room in my Kesev to drive comfortably as well as in my sisters ae82, but each to their own. Good luck finding a dash in that condition, you may be in luck. And not sure if it was answered before but the plugs etc for the tacho dash are all there.

I dunno about the other '83 rolla's but there is plenty of room in my Kesev to drive comfortably as well as in my sisters ae82, but each to their own. Good luck finding a dash in that condition, you may be in luck. And not sure if it was answered before but the plugs etc for the tacho dash are all there.

Well my AE82's drivers seat just goes back enough for me to sorta squish in and drive, the 83 rolla's I can't get the seat back far enough to get in properly, let alone operate the clutch on the manual one.

I don't want the whole dash, just the cluster, or do I have to replace the whole dash? If I've gotta replace the whole dash forget it, I'll never find another in the same nick, I thought I could just replace that bit.

Its only the instrument cluster you'll need to replace... just the bit with the speedo and fuel guage etc. Its about 8 screws in an ae82.

Great, and what do I need to take out to remove it? I presume the drivers side of the dash at the least?

Yeah... but just a few of the plastic surrounds, and then the 4 screws holding the actual cluster in. Once thats done, reach in behind it (from the left side is easier) and pull out the speedo cable and the 3 flat plugs that go into the back. Reverse the process to install the new one.

Well my AE82's drivers seat just goes back enough for me to sorta squish in and drive, the 83 rolla's I can't get the seat back far enough to get in properly, let alone operate the clutch on the manual one.

I don't want the whole dash, just the cluster, or do I have to replace the whole dash? If I've gotta replace the whole dash forget it, I'll never find another in the same nick, I thought I could just replace that bit.

Yeah i ment the cluster, my bad.

And from memory there are screws behind the vents or something, just be major careful when taking things apart cos they get real brittle and hard to get good plastics espec dash top :D

Yeah... but just a few of the plastic surrounds, and then the 4 screws holding the actual cluster in. Once thats done, reach in behind it (from the left side is easier) and pull out the speedo cable and the 3 flat plugs that go into the back. Reverse the process to install the new one.

Fair enough, sounds pretty easy, I'm a n00b at this modifying thing hehe

Damn, I fit in my ae82 sedan and I am 6'3 lol. If you wanna have a look have a search under my name it was awhile ago. 20V 4age goodness :(

Well your about the same height as me, I have my right leg sorta angled towards the door and it still touches the wheel when I brake, works well as a foot rest, but thats about it. I've sat in a Manual AE82 before, couldn't get my left foot to sit on the clutch with it all the way out. I'm not overweight either, so its not like I'm fat and just can't fit lol. I drive a TR Magna too, and I drive that with the seat all the way back, which is a hell lot further than in the Corolla.

Yeah i ment the cluster, my bad.

And from memory there are screws behind the vents or something, just be major careful when taking things apart cos they get real brittle and hard to get good plastics espec dash top :D

Yeah thats my only concern, don't want to create rattles in the car, doesn't have a single one atm, which is impressive for a car of its age.

No progression as yet guys, haven't had to time to visit any wreckers to check out parts.

Only thing I've done lately is replace the blades and arms (just the blade section) on the windscreen, now I can actually see in the wet! Woohoo ;)

Hey there Chief...

What are of Vic are you in? If you heading over yo toyrolla then you a suburbanite... so which area?

The dash is easy as pie, you will have it done pretty quickly, even if you take your time. One great thing about ae82 is the fact that there dime a dozen at the wreckers, if you break anything in the process you can get another really cheaply. On that note, why not head to a wreckers (pick a part for instance) and have a crack on a car in the yard. That way you can have a couple of goes and if you bugger anything up you don't have to worry about it.

flat out Sep 1 2007, 01:03 AM.

also you could just get some springs and cut them and keep the ones in it in case you need to go back, i like cuttys and theres nothing wrong with them imo

Maaateeee... I wish you were joking...

There are so many things wrong with cutting you springs... just don't do it!

Anyway, Welcome to the club mate... you've got one clean looking car there. Nice work.

JP

Edited by TheNOBBLER

Hey there Chief...

What are of Vic are you in? If you heading over yo toyrolla then you a suburbanite... so which area?

Well I'm right around near Toyrolla, if that gives you a good idea, nearish Epping plaza shops.

The dash is easy as pie, you will have it done pretty quickly, even if you take your time. One great thing about ae82 is the fact that there dime a dozen at the wreckers, if you break anything in the process you can get another really cheaply. On that note, why not head to a wreckers (pick a part for instance) and have a crack on a car in the yard. That way you can have a couple of goes and if you bugger anything up you don't have to worry about it.

Ah fair enough, sounds like an idea, although as it seems atm I probably won't have this car too much longer....starting to give me pains in the right knee from the way I fit in to drive it, so I might be looking for something bigger sooner than I originally thought.

Anyway, Welcome to the club mate... you've got one clean looking car there. Nice work.

Cheers....on that note, from what you guys see in the pic what do you reckon I could sell it for roughly? I was hopin $2.5-3k given its in better condition than the majority of AE82's around nowadays and its got low k's for its age I guess.

I'll give you guys a quick run down on it.

Corolla AE82 CS Sedan, build date 11/86 (So its the updated AE82 release)

3sp Auto 1.6L Four (roughly 190,000k's)

18 Month Old paint, still spotless, shining better than our 2004 Camry.

Inside is in overrated condition, no rattles.

Lightly Tinted Windows

2 Piece Louver in overrated condition

Umm thats about it, the stereo in my sig may be included depending on the price.

Thats about it really. I don't really want to sell her, but shes a lil too small for my needs :)

Edited by Lugo