Brake Upgrade

ke30nuts

Members dont see this ad

I have looked into MANY options both front and rear, and if you want simplicity and you are on a budget, then go with this:

Front brakes:

To go with Corona brakes, you will need:

Corona XT130 or RT132 struts, complete with discs and calipers.

Corona XT130, RT132 or AE86 (and maybe some others) steering knuckles

AE86 springs, preferably lowered (KTFL33 from King Springs)

AE86 top spring hat

KE30 or KE55 strut top

If it is easier (it was for me) you can also use the Corona control arms. That way you don't need to disassemble the steering knuckle from the control arm which can sometimes be a pain if you don't have the right tools.

A combination of all of those things will bolt straight into your car. You will get some positive camber on the front, this can be fixed by Pedders. You can get longer control arms and/or adjustable strut tops, but that becomes complicated and expensive. If you are in Brisbane call Brian at Pedders Geebung (after you have put it all in your car), tell him you need to have your camber corrected, and he will fix you up. If he doesn't know what you're talking about, tell him you need the him to set up your car like Fook's red Corolla.

Rear brakes:

KE55 diff will bolt into your KE30, along with the bigger drums. In fact, I have one for sale if you are interested. You will need a KE55 tailshaft. I might have a spare one of these.

Anything else becomes complicated and expensive.

Edited by demuire

• 3 months later...

My sister had RT132 struts in her KE20. Apart from that I really can't tell you how easily they'll fit, as I don't really talk to her. I have TA22 Celica struts in the TE55, and custom made Pedders coilovers in the KE25. If you go Rt132 struts and hubs, it will change the stud pattern from what I assume you have at the moment.

Measuring might be the best way to go with that question.

you need to use the original strut top no matter what, or make an adjustable one, or buy one

into a ke20 or ke70 you may have issues with spring diameter if converting from a larger car. you will need steering arms with the same hole pattern as the struts you are putting in, there's a strut guide in the tech section of toycrazy.net

you'll also need to upgrade the brake master cylinder

and rear discs? pfft. when you can tell us why you need them, then it's worth spending the money on. i seriously think most people just read about them and want them for shiny factor

Mmm, shiny :D

Add 1 x hydraulic handbrake and you can have so much fun :P

Seriously though, I definately noticed a difference when I went to rear discs on my Corolla. Then again, the rear discs were a fair bit bigger than the drums I had... In fact the discs are bigger than my front discs, even...

Edited by demuire