Classic Adelaide

Since we were discussing CAMS the other week, I thought you might be interested in the following.

As you may be aware, Silverstone Events (who runs Classic Adelaide) has opted not to go under the auspices of CAMS this year. This was based on financial reasons. CAMS are not happy about this and wrote them a letter. See attached for that letter.

Of particular interest to me was this paragraph (my bolded emphasis):

" .... it is important to note that without the income generated from major events, the growth and support of grass-roots motor sport can be hampered. Running outside of CAMS means that Classic Adelaide is not contributing to the infrastructure of the sport and the subsequent support available for club level

motor sport, and for items such as official’s training, may be reduced."

I am wondering how motorkhanas, as a grass-roots motor sport, receives "support" from CAMS?

CAMS_letter_20_July_2004.pdf

Edited by datgirl

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have attached the response from Silverstone Events - I found it to be quite excellent and addresses all of CAMS' concerns in a very tactful way.

I particularly noted the common themes between the comments made by Silverstone Events about CAMS and some of the feedback I have heard from grass-roots competitors.

Response_to_CAMS_letter_20_Aug_2004.pdf

Somewhat off topic, but speaking of insurance, are volunteers for the events actually covered? (In general)? I'm just trying not think of the day when a car tries to introduce itself to _me_ at speed while taking pictures. I mean, I wouldn't do something totally stupid like stand on the outside of a fast corner, but I at Benarkin, I did see some ripped bunting in somewhat straight stretches, not to mention flying debris.

I was going to apply for CAMS photographer accreditation, but one of the requirements are that you have to be published, which I am not. Oh well, maybe by next year.

Yes, a really great response I thought. Food for thought too.

Re: insurance for anyone around rallies. I am certain that Redwarf is right that the health of ALL people are covered. Although I have a feeling that the CAMS permit does not cover everyone, but the third party extension also plays a part.

(Rob doesn't have to worry about this because Victorian rego covers this already)

For those that don't know - all competitors in rallies, hillclimbs, sprints, khanacrosses and autocrosses (but NOT for motorkhanas run by HSCCQ - I still don't know why) are required to obtain what is known as an "extension" to their existing 3rd party insurance.

Correct me if I'm wrong but 3rd party insurance for your normal car covers the health of persons that is compromised because of your car when it is on the road doing normal everyday driving things.

My understanding is that the 3rd party extension is required so that the health of persons who are at a motorsporting event (ie, NOT normal everyday driving) are covered.

I think that the CAMS insurance actually covers the 2 people in the car and officials?

That's how I think it works?

Re: insurance for anyone around rallies. I am certain that Redwarf is right that the health of ALL people are covered. Although I have a feeling that the CAMS permit does not cover everyone, but the third party extension also plays a part.

(Rob doesn't have to worry about this because Victorian rego covers this already)

So does Tasmanian rego! :jason:

sucks to be me...theres so many coppers around here theyd suspect something in an instant. Two up the road and an inspector round the corner.

Edit: Ok it was a bit too off topic for me so I'm going to contribute my thoughts to this discussion.

I hope to see more of this kind of "piss off CAMS we don't want or need you" attitude in the future. If they were supporting grass roots motorsport...where has all the money from the V8 Supercars gone? Take a look at NSW Cricket. People like Michael Clarke (young bloke who has just cracked into the Australian test side and will most likely captain the side eventually) have been nurtured by the parent organisation throughout his career. They said they would have payed several million in training him from a base level. The only thing like this I see in motorsport is Holden young lions (which seems to have dissapeared) which is soley funded by HRT (holden racing team not hormone replacement therapy...) after they had huge success with the young Craig Lowndes. So CAMS....wheres this support? Why arnt we getting free licences or other incentives to support the growth of grass-roots motorsport??

Irokin, you can get a day license to do a motorkhana, a Level 1 license. I think, and Mel can correct me if I'm wrong, the price of the day license can be deducted from the price of the level 2 license if you upgrade ithin a certain time. I think you still have to be a member of a car club........