5k Or 2t-geu

p_schrapel

hey guys i have a 5k in my ke15 at the moment running a straight gas system instead of petrol. i might sound like a tight ass but filling up once every 3 weeks is awsome. I'm just trying to figure out what engine would be better a turbo 5k engine on gas or a turbo 2T-GEU engine on gas. also what r the 2T-GEU engines out of and how much will one set me back let alone will it fit in my engine bay. thanks heaps

Members dont see this ad
hey guys i have a 5k in my ke15 at the moment running a straight gas system instead of petrol. i might sound like a tight ass but filling up once every 3 weeks is awsome. I'm just trying to figure out what engine would be better a turbo 5k engine on gas or a turbo 2T-GEU engine on gas. also what r the 2T-GEU engines out of and how much will one set me back let alone will it fit in my engine bay. thanks heaps

the 2tgeu is out of celicas and corollas not sure of the specific models but if u were gonna turbo either one it would be easier to turbo the 2t cause u can grab the factory manifold off the 3tgte

Firstly whats your location? Secondly what money do you have to play with? Because you might also consider a 2TG for around $1200. Or a 1GGE for around $800 or twin turboed, 1GGTE for around $2000.

Also consider if you can do work yourself or if you need a mechanic. Does it need to be engineered? What other upgrades do you need to do . . . brakes, diff, suspension etc etc

Likewise . . . Google is your friend, I just found out alot of information about a 2TGEU :o

Edited by fusion

i live in melbourne and I'm a apprentice mechanic. ive got a year left till i get my licence back becuase ive lost it for 2 years. so ive worked out ive got $300 a week towards my little sleeper beast and a year to get it running and going with a different engine or a worked something or other. as i said its straight gas so the fuel system isnt needed i just need to block up the injector ports. I'm trying to get away with something strong that can handle 150kw to 200kw for now in the corolla that is sort reliable. single turbo i would like but the engine bay in the ke15 is small so i need to know some stuff other people have done and how hard it all is. I'm not fussed about engineers or anything. diff is all sorta and brakes is aswell I'm getting the brake upgrade from hoppers for a present.

i don't know how much room you have, i know you said you would liek to stay 4cyl and toyota, but what about a 12a turbo or n/a 13b? they are fairly compact and lightish. sort of thinking that it would fit well into your engine bay and this seems to be a reasonably common conversion into early ke's.

2tgue is definitely the pick over a 5k on paper. it has twin cam, extra 100cc, bolts to a t-series box (t-50 stronger than k box's).

down side is that they arnt too common of a motor so getting a motor aswell as parts is going to be a bit more difficult, although if you have the part numbers you can probaly just order them threw a local toyota dealer.

if your looking for that much extra power when tuning 200kw is a long way from 150kw... for example with 4ag's its relatively easy to get 150kw but 200kw is quite a few more $$ so the power output will depend on your budget and the motor you start from obviously.

other options to consider, 3sge/t, local 2tg (carby), 2tg/2tc hybrid (2tg twin cam head on a 3tc bottom end making it 1800cc then turboing that?)

don't forget the weight of the motor, how is that going to effect handling, more weight and the further foward it gose the more you upset the balance of the car. a local guy put a V6 commo motor into a ke35? its fairly fast in a straight line but it has far too much weight over the front end.

something that is kind of conflicting, why do you want to run it on gas..? if your turboing it then your economy goes to shit usually.. you also get more power from running it on fuel. if your such a tight arse that you putter around on gas but want to spend thousands and still run it on gas doesn't make sense to me. i can see that you as the rest of us don't like putting your hard earned into the tank sometimes i really wish my rolla used much less fuel than it does, i even blocked off the secondary in the hope to conserve fuel...

something that is kind of conflicting, why do you want to run it on gas..? if your turboing it then your economy goes to shit usually.. you also get more power from running it on fuel. if your such a tight arse that you putter around on gas but want to spend thousands and still run it on gas doesn't make sense to me. i can see that you as the rest of us don't like putting your hard earned into the tank sometimes i really wish my rolla used much less fuel than it does, i even blocked off the secondary in the hope to conserve fuel...

Why wouldnt you want to run LPG 50 odd cents, octane rating as good as some race fuels.

More power from running on petrol I'm not too sure as a good customer at work(I work for special piston services) he has a ESP XE falcon 4l, 6cyl with 1000hp garrett rolla turbo and Gas Reaserch LPG system makes 520 rwkw and is the worlds fastest "LPG" powered vehicle at 10.20ET`s may not sound that quick but an XE isnt a light car by any strech. Also on the up side as gas burns a hell of alot cleaner than petrol so engineers will pretty much engineer anything on LPG.

As i make pistons I'm not a big fan of the rotary engine but as i also have a KE-11 i know there is bugger all room in there so a rotary or 4agte may be your only options as bang for buck goes and i would go a rotary as its alot cheaper.

My Question to you p_schrapel is why would you whant to butcher something as rare as a KE-15 with anything other than a K motor is beyond me but atleast its will hopefully be a toyota engine.

stu.

Why wouldnt you want to run LPG 50 odd cents, octane rating as good as some race fuels.

More power from running on petrol I'm not too sure as a good customer at work(I work for special piston services) he has a ESP XE falcon 4l, 6cyl with 1000hp garrett rolla turbo and Gas Reaserch LPG system makes 520 rwkw and is the worlds fastest "LPG" powered vehicle at 10.20ET`s may not sound that quick but an XE isnt a light car by any strech. Also on the up side as gas burns a hell of alot cleaner than petrol so engineers will pretty much engineer anything on LPG.

As i make pistons I'm not a big fan of the rotary engine but as i also have a KE-11 i know there is bugger all room in there so a rotary or 4agte may be your only options as bang for buck goes and i would go a rotary as its alot cheaper.

My Question to you p_schrapel is why would you whant to butcher something as rare as a KE-15 with anything other than a K motor is beyond me but atleast its will hopefully be a toyota engine.

stu.

Amen stu, stay period-correct and stick it out with the 5k!!

well its in getting painted white again and the rust removed the only bit of rust in it so far is in the top left gaurge I'm trying to hunt one down so it saves me using bog. but i will be staying toyota engine all the way no rotorys becuase i have driven a couple and not just for me. i also have a vl with a v6 eco tec in it with a garret 35-40 turbo and its on straight gas heaps easier than stuffing around with tuning and bigger injectors bigger fuel pumps big fuel lines.

but getting back to the ke15 its in awsome condition interior is next getting it retrimmed to standard but if anyone would be interested in swapping or some cash for a ke35 i would love to. mine is a ke15 sprinter I'm not sure how much they r worth. i got mine for $400 running no reg or rwc. still for the original enigine it came out with outa factory.

Amen stu, stay period-correct and stick it out with the 5k!!

If you want power out of your 5k that too can be turbocharged and with LPG would be great, there are a couple of guys on here with turbo setups and a few supercharged ones aswell(i hope to have my s/c 12 setup running just after Easter) Hope that may give you some ideas. You may find a few in the rides section.

BUT at the end of the day its your car and your choice on how to build it and you and only you need to be happy with it.

Also sprinters are getting real hard to find in ok condition id expect to pay $4,000 for a driver in average to good condition.(well thats what id pay anyway).

good luck with the project. :lolcry:

What about a 7K?

stu.

p.s. also keep in mind engineers if your going anything but a K motor the last thing you want is to be put off the road just after its on the road.

Edited by kickn5k

HAHAH p_schrapel if you want to swap a running KE30 sedan for it I'm up :lolcry: I also owna KE15 there getting hard to find.

Id go 5K or 7K. I know a stock 7K in these bad boys FLYS :fuzz:

My self I run a 5K and am slowly building up a hotter 5K for it on the cheap.

Also if you decide to run a 5K etc or a 4age can I have dibs on the original cylinder head if I may? My sprinter original motor was missing and I want a KE15 cylinder head if possible.

But I have seen KE15 with 4age in them also so that is a swap I know you can do.

Cheers

Cameron

My pick would be a 2tgeu into your ride because since your car is a classic toyota, might as well put a classic sporty 2tg toyota motor in it.

I'd pick 2TG anyday other than any motors out there that a toyota has to offer in the 4 cylinder family.

2TG parts aren't hard to find, I have proved that many people are wrong already because I have acquired most of the parts that most people claim to say "hard to find", I have such as brand new TRD racing cams, double springs, stainless steel valves, and so forth. The only thing that would be a slight challenge of finding is the cams because that is the most hot items for 2tg's. Everything else like the lower block parts are easy as a pie to get. USA sells lower block parts and japan sells cylinder head parts. I can help you in any way finding parts if you decide to go 2TG as your power transplant because I have connections.

The 2tg will fit into your car but it will look cramped due to the head size. Once you have managed to intall that motor, your motor bay would look very sexy and make you proud.