What Size Wheels Fit Ke70

LilSlvrRolla

Hey, I'm in the process of upgrading my KE70 front brakes with the Corona/HiLux/Peugeot conversion. I'm just wondering what experiences people have had with wheels on them with this setup, and what size wheels you can fit with the larger brakes.

I’m yet to find suspension that’s more drift related so I’ll start with the wheels before the brakes and coilovers go on.

I'd happily settle with the MA61 Supra wheels but how well do they go under the guards? I know there 14x7 but not the offset, and it looks like there’s plenty going around with them on. They might also be a little hard to find in Ballarat, Victoria. But I’m happy to drive a bit if any ones selling a set?

The other option is 15x7 or 15x8 superlites. How well would 15x8 fit in a KE70 or am I better off sticking with the 7 inch width?

Thanks vey much

Ethan

Members dont see this ad

MA rims fit really well, unless you put long lower control arms on like sigma arms, may need a good flare then.

The best way to know what wheels will fit over the brakes, will be to see how big a wheel the Peugeot that the disks are from came with.

I think, depending on caliper you can get 280-290mm rotors under a 15 inch rim. Much bigger than 15 or 16 in my opinion is too big for a ke70, but this is a topic of much debate.

When I say too big I'm speaking from a handling point of view, and a looks point of view, thats my opinion. The main problem is that a rolling diameter to suit a 17 or 18 inch rim is too big, although not a massive increase, it does funny things to the handling. Can scrub too, depending on offset.

For offset you want a low positive to low negative rim. Id say +22 to -8 could be considered, depending on width of the bead also, and how much you're willing to stretch a tyre.

A standard ke70 rim has approximately 11.5cm of back space. If you increase control arm length or run spacers you can skeak a bit more out of it, but I stick to rims with less than 11.5cm backspace to be sure.

An 8j is probably the biggest you'll easily fit. 7j is plenty to keep you stuck down usually.

Sadly its usually a case of wait and see when fitting wheels. When you buy wheels you should look for ones that have added clearance in them compared to other wheels. Its also best to buy ones where the spoke area is offset away from the mounting face. Some brake upgrades require not just diameter clearance, but spoke clearance. Spacers can cure this, but then offset is modified too, so more gaurd woes.

I had a look into the Peugeot and they came with 15" wheels.

What would the affects of the bigger wheels cause on handling?

I got a quote for some 15x7 +25mm superlites $220 each and the tyre prices were pretty reasonable. The worst part is the wheels seem easy now lol, and finding coilover parts is getting really hard... No one rings back lol.

But if a good pair of MA61 wheels came up, I might have to have a look in to them, and inside them.

Thanks very much for all the info as well, there was quite a few things I havent thought of there.

No sweat mate, Ive always got time to help people who use punctuation and grammar, and ask thoughtful questions.

The one critiscism ill make of MA61 wheels is the weight of them. A nice racing wheel like a superlight should weigh between 4.5 and 6kg. MA rims may be around 8 or 9kg, someone may confirm this more accurately.

I tend to get meshies cause even cheap ones are very light.

If I was buying new superlights id get them in 15x7 + 8 (just like the MAs') or as close to as possible. +25 will need spacers. Make sure you measure the rim width from inside of bead to inside of bead. Not from the outside. 7J means 7 inches from inner edge to inner edge. don't get caught out.

The effects of too big a wheel can be as follows:

1. Skatey feel on the road.

2. Larger rolling diameter means more scrubbing, don't increase your rolling diameter by any more than 15mm ever.

3. Larger rolling diameter means you are making your gearing taller, so your 4.3 diff becomes more like 4.1. This makes the car accelerate slower. Boring.

4. Just the whole feel of the car changes. Its hard to say exactly what it is but it just feels wrong. Tryit and feel for yourself. It didnt make me confident to nail corners at all.

Ahh, Yes, weight. The brakes and struts are not exactly light, but I'll assume the 20 valve I'm doing all this work for should help. And some of the wheels I have looked at (better suited to a 90's ish car) had a good bit of weight in them.

I reckon there might be a fair bit of option when buying the superlites so I'll check into the +8 offset. +25 didn't click with me when I was in the shop, but it sure makes a lot of sense now.

Now is bead to bead the surface inside the rim where the tyre is pushed up against when inflated, so I could either estimate with a tyre on or measure it with a tyre off?

I had no idea that my diff ratio was 4.3, I'd been meaning to check that one out lol. I've been lazy. But it explains a bit lol.

4.3 is just an example I made up, who knows what your car is running really.

All 4ages are short on torque, with heads designed by Yamaha. Think lightweight, high revving motorcycle design cues in the head.

Therefore any weight you can save is wonderful. Unsprung weight is best to avoid.

Yes the bead is as youve decribed. Do not guess width according to tyre size because you can get a 185 on a 9j if you want to. Some people say stupid stuff like, they must be 8jS, they had 225s on them. Measure everything.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

• 2 weeks later...
4.3 is just an example I made up, who knows what your car is running really.

All 4ages are short on torque, with heads designed by Yamaha. Think lightweight, high revving motorcycle design cues in the head.

Therefore any weight you can save is wonderful. Unsprung weight is best to avoid.

Yes the bead is as youve decribed. Do not guess width according to tyre size because you can get a 185 on a 9j if you want to. Some people say stupid stuff like, they must be 8jS, they had 225s on them. Measure everything.

ajps has performance challengers 15x8 -9 for about $250 a wheel

an RA40 era 14x5 with a 5mm spacer will fit over the hilux brake setup, its what i ran for about 12 months before I got my rewinds (15x7 0 offset) for the coilover bits, your looking at about $200-300 for the weld on kit, springs are up to you. For the strut inserts, i would suggest heading down to your local parts place with your old strut insert and finding a commonly available insert that either fits or is slightly shorter. That way your strut legs could be shortened to suit or you could add spacers at the bottom of the leg to make up the difference.