March 12, 200818 yr comment_232895 How many litres of oil did you put in? At best a K engine should only take around 3.2 Litres to fill..... K engines are like energizers, they keep going and going......i wouldnt worry about it until it starts doing funny stuff. I've run my 5K on low oil for a bit before i topped it up, that was at least 2 years ago...its still going strong to this day. Edited March 12, 200818 yr by Xany Report
March 12, 200818 yr Author comment_232906 That's reassuring... thanks guys. I put nearly all of 4 litres in but it was pretty empty... Is there anyway I can let some oil out just so I can sleep at night? :jamie: Does it involve the sump plug? Will I need any special tools? Haha. Report
March 12, 200818 yr comment_232908 mate, A. use the dipstick. no other option, it is the accurate measure. 2. buy a gregorys or haynes repair manual, it will teach you alot and you wont look like a pratt. III. don't fill it all the way to the top, my sister in here astina (nice car :jamie: ) noticed the oil light coming on around corners. so she bought 5 litres of oil and put it all in. started it up and it was pissing blue smoke, she went inside and left it running til it was all gone, then it never drove the same... (quote, it wasnt full though mum, no oil was coming out the top) yes, i rebuilt the motor after that, all the extra oil gets in the combustion chamber and glazes the bores and f@$ks the rings. what you need to do now, is drop some oil out, then top it back up to the correct mark on the dipstick, take it for a run round the block, let it sit of 20, then recheck the oil level, and top up if needed, once it run for a couple of minutes the oil will be nice and dirty again anyway :hmm: so it will be easy to tell. anything further? Report
March 12, 200818 yr Author comment_232909 mate, A. use the dipstick. no other option, it is the accurate measure. 2. buy a gregorys or haynes repair manual, it will teach you alot and you wont look like a pratt. III. don't fill it all the way to the top, my sister in here astina (nice car :jamie: ) noticed the oil light coming on around corners. so she bought 5 litres of oil and put it all in. started it up and it was pissing blue smoke, she went inside and left it running til it was all gone, then it never drove the same... (quote, it wasnt full though mum, no oil was coming out the top) yes, i rebuilt the motor after that, all the extra oil gets in the combustion chamber and glazes the bores and f@$ks the rings. what you need to do now, is drop some oil out, then top it back up to the correct mark on the dipstick, take it for a run round the block, let it sit of 20, then recheck the oil level, and top up if needed, once it run for a couple of minutes the oil will be nice and dirty again anyway :hmm: so it will be easy to tell. anything further? I've probably got the KE70 manual in the car but I didn't think it'd be too puzzling to figure out how to drain some oil, but I'll go get it now. I can safely say I've learnt my lesson... haha. Report
March 12, 200818 yr comment_232917 Special tool you will need to remove the sump plug = Spanner, big bucket, jack and 2 stands. Not sure on the size. I haven't really played with my car yet. Though jack the car up, make sure you support the car with the 2 stands.. for safety reasons. You also might want to get a big bucket under your car to catch some oil. Not being.. mean, though if you haven't drained oil, you will more than likely get it on your hands when you take the sump plug out, or even drop it into the big container, then the oil will cover the whole bucket. Just becareful in other words. Oil is a pain in the ass to clean up.. Oh, and 4k Engines aren't expensive. You get pretty good deals on here. You pick 4k's up for a carton of beer up to around.. $400 from a wrecker. Though usually around $50 to $200 on Rollaclub. Edited March 12, 200818 yr by WinKE55 Report
March 12, 200818 yr comment_232922 in nearly oil cases, the low mark, to the high mark on the engine oil dipstick is 1L. if its off the dipstick it doesnt mean your completely out of oil. if you were out of oil you would DEFINATELY know bout it! you will see a bit of oil down the rocker cover don't worry too much about that. just make sure its at the full mark on the dipstick. like others have said, check the dipstick before filling with oil. fill it carefully!! don't just tip the whole bottle in, try and get it close to full as possible. then start the engine and run for a little while. remember a hot engine will have thinner oil, and hence oil will drain back to the sump quicker and wil give you a more accurate, easier to read dipstick, quicker. Report
March 12, 200818 yr comment_232941 I've driven my ke70 with 4k for about 400kms with no water and I'm sure it had no oil as well (as over heating burns oil) and still ran that engine for 2 years after that. Only "special" people can kill K engines Report
March 12, 200818 yr Author comment_232944 Cheers guys. I will drain it depending on how it drives during this run I'm gonna take it for. Edit: It's idling horribly... not very smoothly at all. It's sluggish as well/doesn't respond well to acceleration. I can still hear sloshing so I guess I have to drain it. Edited March 12, 200818 yr by Mybowlcut Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now