Ke2x Dashtop Removal

JiP

Hey guys, well I got my brand new xE2x dash-top yesterday in the mail. So today I went over to my sisters today where Tabitha is stored to change it over and had abit of trouble.

I've detached all the screws on the lower end of the dash but can't seem to reach the top end. All I can think of is that I need to remove the plate under the windshield that overlaps over the dash, then unscrew the topside of the dash. Has anyone done this?? Am I close?? If so I'll have to remove the windshield as I can't reach the screws.

post-1158-1206615270_thumb.jpg

post-1158-1206615178_thumb.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

J.

Members dont see this ad

did you take the ones out from underneath the little plastic panels that are underneath the dash pad? also theres some behind the air vents I'm pretty sure, they come off with a couple screws, have a look behind. i took my mine out of my ke26 afew weeks ago but can't remember exactly how it came off now :hmm:.

the plate that sits up against the windscreen doesn't need to come off, the screws holding that in are behind the gauge face and glovebox etc, and suck.

Edited by Sim

Yep, air vents there are nuts.

Also above the glovebox compartment under the metal frame, some under the instrument cluster as well.

Been there, done that and it was a bastard of a job.

You also have to remove the stereo as well.

Best bet it to look at your dash top and picture where the nuts would be :hmm:

I also has the windscreen out when I did mine though to make getting to the metal plate, that little bit easier.

I don't see why you can't lift the metal plate up and pull the old dash out anyway....

Edited by Raven

Okay, thanks. Yes I've removed the plastic panels, one of which has cracked due to the shifting shape of the dash. I tried removing the speedo face but can't figure out how it comes out. I guess I'm too afraid to break it as I'm not sure if I'd be able to find replacement parts.

John - the instrument cluster comes out via two 10mm (I think) nuts that are along the bottom edge of the dash. Reach your hand up in behind there and you'll feel them :hmm:

They're a BITCH to get undone, so take 1/4 turns at a time as there isnt much room for a 10mm spanner up in there.

Edited by Raven

Well, I went today and gave this another go. It was pissing me off for a while then got easier as it all came off.

post-1158-1207123202_thumb.jpg

After a bit more bitching and moaning, I was finally able to install the dash... or so I thought

post-1158-1207123215_thumb.jpg

Did anyone else buy a dash from the guy that was selling them a little while back?? Has anyone installed theirs yet??

From just having them side by side I thought something was off.

post-1158-1207123507_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of the new dash on top and the old dash on the bottom. I can't seem to get the screw that was in the old one in through the outer hole on the new one. They just don't line up. I have kinda butchered the hole on the drivers side. I'm begining to question how genuine this dash is.

post-1158-1207123185_thumb.jpg

Lastly, what would connect to this wire if I had whatever function that could go here?? Would it be a tacho from a tacho dash??

post-1158-1207123232_thumb.jpg

Hey man i've built a ke26 from the ground up everything. I can tell you taking out a ke20 dash is an art. It got me in a furious rage many of times. I took out my windshield so had easy access to take my dash pad out. Needless to say nothing ever lines up good enough once it all goes back in again.

The main problem i've struck is the damn glovebox lid(at the top) hits the under dash plastic trim and fails to open :abuse:

thanks Raven, I knew that yours wouldn't be together yet but thought you got it from the same guy I did as we were all enquiring at the same time.

Does anyone know who else got one??

Oh and might I say that the angle and position of where the screws are on the dash gave me the shits. I ended up grabbing a Phillip's bit and hand screwing the glove box off.