Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

My New Sidedraught Webers

Featured Replies

Hi all just finished converting my 5k motor from twin down draught webers to twin 40dcoe webers on my ke20.

Just want to know what most people do for air filter setup, due to lack of room. I have bought a pair of filter socks in the smallest size but they seem to be to long, i am thinking about cuttting them in half to fit without being squashed up. also what do people do to support the webers and manifold because of the weight of the carbies. All comments and pics would help. :hmm:

Here are a couple of pics of my weber setup.

 

post-721-1206779795_thumb.jpg

 

post-721-1206780015_thumb.jpg

Edited by ke20rolla

I was unable to use trumpets and have an air filter. In fact you look to have more room than i did for some reason. Are you using a KE30 mount? as I've heard they give a bit more tilt for the webers.

 

I had 38 mm between carb and tower. I had some 40 mm sandwich filters made to fit. If you cut your socks , you still have to have the springs in place, otherwise the socks get sucked into the carb. I'll see if I can find a piccie later....

 

Why have you used two levers for the throttle? All the webers I've seen have been linked via the throttle shft, making adjustment soooooooooo much easier.

 

P.S: nice looking set-up though. :hmm:

Edited by Redwarf

  • Author

Thanks for your reply, i am aware that the springs are there to stop the filter being sucked in and about the linkages they are a redline kit made specifically for the corolla K-series motor complete with diagrams of how to setup linkages and even what jets to run etc. I am using standard ke20 engine mounts and redline manifold, not sure of distance between carbs and strut tower, still yet to measure. Have started car and they run fairly well, just need to check mixtures and get a good tune. Also what do people do about their pcv valve and line. Do you just plumb it into a oil catch can? :y:

 

All comments appreciated. :hmm: :)

Yep, the PCV goes to an oil catch can and from the oil catch can back into the manifold.

 

Is it possible to cut the springs down when you cut the filters down?

I thought it was illegal to have an oil catch can? My 1981 ke55 I was told it might be illegal to use oil catch cans and put the pcv into it.. Sorry if I am hijacking the thread here a little.

I thought it was illegal to have an oil catch can? My 1981 ke55 I was told it might be illegal to use oil catch cans and put the pcv into it.. Sorry if I am hijacking the thread here a little.

 

Illegal if it vents to the atmosphere :hmm:

  • Author

Hi, thanks for the comments. Had to adjust float levels as one of the carbies was pouring fuel out of the trumpets. Went to the local dyno guy to book my car in to get a good tune, have to wait till the 24th april. Still wondering what to do about air filter setup due to lack of room, help from others who have done this conversion would be great. |blink| :nervous:

mate nice set up you got there! what kinda power you getting out of her? guess after the tune be easy to say ey!

The only thing I can think of regarding space is getting some really short air horns, and using some of the lynx/ramflo filters. They have a reasonably low height, and you can also get some that are off set. I think that they are available off set upwards, but you'd have to check.

 

Check out lynxcorp.com.au and have a browse around their Ramflo catalogue. Also search for weber air horns on ebay. The seller Fast Road Cars has some that only protrude about 16mm from memory. It's going to be a tight fit whichever way you go. Thats the lowest profile setup that I can think of. Oh, and I can't guarantee all those parts work together out of the box! :nervous:

 

A lot of people also run the ramflo filters without the air horn, but I wouldn't advise that.

 

P.S. Nice setup! One day I'll do the same, sticking with a single for the moment |blink|

Edited by snot35

i got uni filters socks which caple tie to the trumpets in my ke17. i recon i have even less room than in your 20.I had to cut the socks and springs in half to fit but they work well, you just loose a small amount of filtering ability but negl. Also The 3rd trumpet filter didn't fit due to the tower so i used an old trick of 2 x layers of girld stockings over the end and filte with end cut off to make it look right. it does mean you have to change the panty hose often though. Had to re tune engin with this on. they where $12 each. it's an idea anyway laters , ps looks great :nervous:

The age old panty hose filter, fantastic!! :abuse:

  • Author

Hi all, thanks for your ideas. Looking into getting a couple of 1 3/4" k&n air cleaners to suit the webers, might just be enough room but it will be touch and go. Also having problems with my front carby leaking petrol out of the trumpets, I have checked float levels and they seem ok and do they run a gasket between the trumpet and carby or is that only on air cleaner setups? :dance:

Hi all, thanks for your ideas. Looking into getting a couple of 1 3/4" k&n air cleaners to suit the webers, might just be enough room but it will be touch and go. Also having problems with my front carby leaking petrol out of the trumpets, I have checked float levels and they seem ok and do they run a gasket between the trumpet and carby or is that only on air cleaner setups? :dance:

 

 

You most likly have a warn jet/needle and seat thingie, one of mine leaked too when i got them and i took the top off where the wing nut are to find the needle and seat had a ring warn in it causing it to fluding and thus fuel leaking out. it's apparently common. Once replaced (not cheep aprox $40) i have had no such issues. a carby guy can fix it in about 20 min. Just wondering how you find the webbers. I feel my car runns heaps smoother but seems to pop and backfire a little on over-run and she sure don't start as well with no choke. also did you have to mod your exaust to mount them. i had to space out the extractors so that when i did the nuts up everything would clamp down equal. With the aircleaners i've herd you can get ones which let you keep the ram tubes enclosing them in a box but not sure where, this would be good as you slill keep the extra mid range torque they give the benifit of.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.