Ae71 Workshop Manual Needed

SKA80R

Members dont see this ad

To be honest, I'd doubt if there were any on the net anywhere. Most people don't care about 4AC's obviously because 4AGE's are often such an easy conversion into a car which already has a 4AC and they have much more potential. But you probably already know all this. I've seen a couple of engine manuals for 4AC's go through ebay but thats about all. I should be getting a Chassis manual for the E7 series of corollas soon which covers just about everything but the engine hence though it probably wouldn't help.

ive got a ae82 sedan with a 4ac and i was under the impression that you couldnt tune the carby as its 'sealed'?

is that right? can anyone clarify?

That is correct, but in this case I believe the carbs a slightly different..

I'm not sure about tuning the std carb, if it is tune able then a manual wont really help.

any other engine specs can be found on the underside of the bonnet and in an owners manual.

in owners manual, it says the recommended oil for motor, box and diff. ignition timing, spark plug model, gap, thermostat temperature etc. filters can be looked up instore.

what exactly do you want to know??

if there are other parts of the car that need attention that arnt listed in a owners manual give us a yell because someone has surely fix/repaired what ever your having trouble with.

I do have an old, Toyota Engine Repair Manual covering 2A, 4A 4AC and 4A-GE (spare which has been superseeded)

What info do You need? And yes AE71 Carburetted are tuneable.. Takes a bit of fiddling, without information.

I run my 1983 van on 19.1Km/l or 5.3L/100K (and use 95 octane). Been running like this for 2.5 years. No problems at all, no power loss or pinging or other problems. (This was a Longitudinal engine designed for 97 octane)

Even had it running at 91E octane, but this was a bit rougher and not recommendable.

Why spend money on engine change for an old car, if you can improve the fuel economy, by proper tuning?

This car has more guts and has equal fuel economy as my daughters Excell. :yes:

cheers Johnno.

Edited by toyofancy

I do have an old, Toyota Engine Repair Manual covering 2A, 4A 4AC and 4A-GE (spare which has been superseeded)

What info do You need? And yes AE71 Carburetted are tuneable.. Takes a bit of fiddling, without information.

I run my 1983 van on 19.1Km/l or 5.3L/100K (and use 95 octane). Been running like this for 2.5 years. No problems at all, no power loss or pinging or other problems. (This was a Longitudinal engine designed for 97 octane)

Even had it running at 91E octane, but this was a bit rougher and not recommendable.

Why spend money on engine change for an old car, if you can improve the fuel economy, by proper tuning?

This car has more guts and has equal fuel economy as my daughters Excell. :cool:

cheers Johnno.

hey i need some information what is the point gap on a 4ac ae71 and standard ignition timing in degrees and plug gap

Owners Manual states: 4AC engine Australia uses 97 octane and 4AGE engine uses 98 octane. Just incidental information for you.

The Service specs are: Ignition timing 4A & 4AC engine; 5 deg btdc @ (MAX 900 rpm auto). Distributor rubbing block gap; 0.45 mm (0.018")

Dwell angle; 52 degrees. Spark plug gap 0.8 mm(0.031") NGK; BP5EY or N12YC. points GD214

Engine O'haul Manual & experience says for Nippondenso maggie: dwell between 46 and 58 (52) degrees. rubbing block gap 50 deg=(0.011") & 48deg=(0.012").

Timing set 3-7 deg BTDCat idle speed of 750rpm. And set the damping-spring gap to 0.1 to 0.4 mm (0.004 to 0.016"). with vacuum advance connected to the ported pipe on the carby.

Hope that will give some info? Jonno

Owners Manual states: 4AC engine Australia uses 97 octane and 4AGE engine uses 98 octane. Just incidental information for you.

The Service specs are: Ignition timing 4A & 4AC engine; 5 deg btdc @ (MAX 900 rpm auto). Distributor rubbing block gap; 0.45 mm (0.018")

Dwell angle; 52 degrees. Spark plug gap 0.8 mm(0.031") NGK; BP5EY or N12YC. points GD214

Engine O'haul Manual & experience says for Nippondenso maggie: dwell between 46 and 58 (52) degrees. rubbing block gap 50 deg=(0.011") & 48deg=(0.012").

Timing set 3-7 deg BTDCat idle speed of 750rpm. And set the damping-spring gap to 0.1 to 0.4 mm (0.004 to 0.016"). with vacuum advance connected to the ported pipe on the carby.

Hope that will give some info? Jonno

cheers very helpful

• 3 months later...
cheers very helpful

Yes, thanks all and me too.

By way of intro, names Dave and recently picked up an AE71(auto) while I restore my T-18 that will also be getting a transplant.

I'm getting stutter and even stalls on standing starts. I thought it was the Auxiliary Acceleration Pump but it's not.

Have put it down to choke not opening properly (too slow) plus the carby running too rich but there could be a dizzy issue as well. I'm progressively leaning it out (and there's definite improvement) but may have reached the limit (I'll know more when I find a hill and warmer weather) as it may just be starting to ping, not 100% sure.

Anyway it could be a vacuum advance issue (found 1 leak so far) but I'm having a lot of difficulty because I can't

find an accurate vacuum system diagram - i.e., the one on the sticker under the bonnet or in the service

manual.

So if anyone could please take a photo of an Aust spec AE71 bonnet sticker (mines missing) or could post/email a page or two from the Toyota Service Manual I would really appreciate it - vacuum systems are a headache without the diagram (no I'm not going to disable the pollution control so don't suggest it please).

I've looked for Haynes/Gregorys manuals but they don't have one specific for the AE71.

Cheers

David

PS If anyone in Sydney has a AE71 Toyota Service Manual and/or a service manual for the transmission for sale or loan I'm keen to buy or copy (as the original poster stated there aren't copies on the net) - I like service manuals.

Edited by GasedT18

A very good and helpfull website, which gives you online maint manuals for any type or model, is (www.autozone/repair info/ vehicle repair guide) and if you then select /Fuelsystem, you will find the Aisan carburettor as used on the 4ac engine.

This is of course, as long as you select initially your proper car model (Corolla 83, 1.6L 2B) :dance:

This covers all your tuning and with the section on ignition (Vacuum advance) and exhaust (for EGR) you should be able to sort vacuum hoses out. :dance:

Read the legends under the carby pictures carefully, as they tell you where the hoses go!

Have fun :dance:

While I'm thinking of the manuals, I never had very much problems with the 4ac.

Only real problems I ever had were, a clogged-up EGR (completely gummed-up)

and a leaking diaphragm on the carby (secondary throttle diaphragm), NOT the AAP!

and the bi-metal spring on the hot-airdoor broke.

The original distributor (ND) had a advance timing baseplate, which does jamm if not maintained regularly, (see FAQ ignition this forum)

All these problems individually caused spluttering and rough running. So maybe this give you something to look at.

Manual TX?The transmissions on a AE71 is covered in the Toyota manual "T18 Repair Manual" KE7*, TE7*

Mine covers K40, K50, T40, T50

Edited by toyofancy