Septone Car Paint

Hey,

I've been tempted lately by the big 4 litre tins of Septone acrylic car paint in Supercheap.

That sounds bad already.

I can’t remember the exact prices but with primer, clear coat etc. It works out around $250ish. Which appeals a bit more to me since the quote I got from a paint shop was around $400 to $500 for the lot including there cheap spray gun.

Is there a quality difference? Is Septone going to last me as long, I'd like more than six months before my wheel arches start to rust again (KE70) Actually I really want a car I can drive in the rain again, the poor things half in primer (primer looks porous to me?)

Compressor wise, there is a 2.5HP 6.1CFM GMC job at Bunnings, I'd laugh if it could do a car but I need one and I can still rent a bigger one. And they also have a $130 HVLP gun which "looks" all right.

So really I want a white and black KE70 (since I've gone off my more expensive orange and black) and I want it to last, is Septone the answer.

Any experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys,

Ethan

Edit: Septone paint actually works out a bit more expensive. Actually pays to make some phone calls and have a shop around.

Septone 4L acrylic primer $69

Septone 4L acrylic white $129

Septone 4L acrylic clear$89

Septone 1L acrylic black $38

Septone for my car would end up being $325

Where one of the local places Spartan brand paint is

4L acrylic primer $54

4L acrylic white $68

4L acrylic clear $70

1L acrylic black $23

Spartan works out to be $215

Even PPG works out to be $225 ($55 4L primer and $130 4L paint, 1L black $40)

The guy said I didn’t need a clear coat for it? Sounds a bit odd to me.

This way sounds like a better deal to me. Now to get a good deal on a compressor haha. 14CFM for $299? Works out better if I buy that one, saving $140 for two days rental and buying a $140 job from Bunnings...

Edited by LilSlvrRolla

Members dont see this ad

hey, thought id through a bone in, about three months ago i painted my ke70 with carcigen free (thinks that how its spelt) two-pack (its not harmful). a 4lt kit cost me $150 3lt colour, 1ltr hardener. the brand is hi-chem i think, it set harder than a rock and didnt need buffing. sprayed with a 12cfm compressor with a hvlp (high volume low pressure) 40psi from memory.

and can be tinted to any colour, i got fords citric acid, but tthat price doesnt include primer, you may need twopack primer aswell, i already had some.

Hey,

Also looking into septone paint, because i know a guy that works at supercheap and he can get a

good discount on it.

I am not doing a full respray, just a touch-up over a few rust spots (will repair first) and

the bootlid and front 1/4.

Who else has had experience with this paint, and what do you think of it ?

Thanks,

Dougal

if you want cheap paint use du-pont nason QD it will be better than septone if you want it to last use spies hecker if you want a comprimise use concept all of which is much better than septone as they arnt so much of a paint brand rather than a chemical company where as the other companys focus on paint so they will be better

• 2 weeks later...

Go to a an automotive paint shop and ask them to put you in the right direction. The problem with the acrylics you buy at supershit is that these types of paints tend to be a lot less UV stable and will dull or go milky within a year. I did my bodywork with septone and K & H products (bog, primer fillers, stop putty etc). But for the paint and the clearcoat, I got the shop to make up their own brand paint that they sell to the autobody shops that do acrylic on the older cars.

Go to a an automotive paint shop and ask them to put you in the right direction. The problem with the acrylics you buy at supershit is that these types of paints tend to be a lot less UV stable and will dull or go milky within a year. I did my bodywork with septone and K & H products (bog, primer fillers, stop putty etc). But for the paint and the clearcoat, I got the shop to make up their own brand paint that they sell to the autobody shops that do acrylic on the older cars.

Yeah I reckon that might be the go, unfortunatly I've lost a bit of faith in supercheap lately, very long story...

But yeah, $68 for 4litres of primer sounds good to me, and when the body fillers are on special the price is usually pretty good too. There paint may be cheap but I do doubt the quality quite a bit now.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah I reckon that might be the go, unfortunatly I've lost a bit of faith in supercheap lately, very long story...

But yeah, $68 for 4litres of primer sounds good to me, and when the body fillers are on special the price is usually pretty good too. There paint may be cheap but I do doubt the quality quite a bit now.

mate i work at septone an the paint we make is really good also body filler is all the same just with different names

I've used septone products for years and ive never really had a problem. Just make sure you prep everything properly.

I painted the whole interior on my corrola with septone paint. Dash, Door trims and all plastic surounds.

Just the steering wheel i used some ink dye stuff VHC or something like that

Edit: The septone body filler is awesome. Sands very nice and feathers out smoothly

Edited by Johno