Stock 1981 Ke55 Coupe

gday guys i have a stock ke55 coupe with a stock 4k and its a 4sp man

i was just wondering if anyone could let me in on some ideas with how i can get a little more out of her as i am pretty new to all this i don't really know where to start cheers guys:)

Members dont see this ad

Definitely have a look at the FAQ, then, at the risk of sounding boring work out what you want to do and plan it!

No point turbo'ing it if you can't afford to do a good job and it fries motors all the time. Not that a replacement motor is hard to come by for these things, but if it's your only car to get to work and you're changing motors every weekend you're going to get pissed off pretty quickly. Not to mention legalities.

So, you want more out of her, in a straight line? Around corners? Do you want to take it to the track on weekends? Drags? Most importantly, what's your budget, and how much do you know about working on cars??

Give us a bit more info and I'm sure the heads around here can give you some good ideas, but only after you read the FAQ a few times! :hmm:

how much would it cost to turbo?

If you have to ask how much it'd cost, the short answer is "too much"

Like Snot says... work out what you want to do with it first...for example if you did want to have a fast blast down the quarter, and don't mind replacing engines every weekend, then turbo might be the way to go. can swap over all the bolt on stuff, and the engine only has to last 400m...

If you are looking for a reliable streeter with a little extra for cheap, have a look at bolting up a 3K head to raise compression and run premium fuel and a cam grind.

Keen for a street sleeping falcodore eater, and don't mind spending a bit, have a look at all the info there is relating to 4A engine swaps.

The possibilities are endless...

If you have the budget, and aren't planning on taking her on the street, have a look at OKO20's threads... THAT gives an idea at the upper limits of sanity with these cars...

The long answer to the question on how much to turbo... Depends on how much you can do yourself... If you have to pay for someone else to do everything, it'll cost you twice as much as mine. Good to have friends and family who can weld etc...

If you are able to do everything yourself, and manage to get good deals on parts, probably look at about:

5-600 for pistons (there are cheaper ones, but you want it to last right?)

at least a couple of hundred for a single turbo from any of the twin setups... (2JZ, 1JZ, 7M...) and of the sequential setups, go with the smaller of the two...

Fuel Injection??? - minimum of 1000 after computer, injectors, fuel rail, manifold, regulator, lines and pumps...

Blow thru??? - I'm researching this right now, and apparently going with a big ol Holley will do good, but still cost you 2-300 for a decent carb, plus at least 300 for pump, regulator, lines and manifold.

Exhaust and inlet, intercooler, piping etc shouldn't set you back much more than 700 for a half decent system.

That's just the engine... If you keep it to a sensible boost (not much more than 9-10psi) the driveline should handle it half decently, depending on your driving... but you probably want an LSD right??? factor in another 500 at least...

so all up, doing all the work yourself, without engineering, which you will need if you intend driving it on the street... bill comes to 2700 for injected setup, and 2400 for boosted carb...

at least double that, and possibly triple if you have to pay for someone else to set it up...

But hey, there are other guys here who are FAR more experienced with turbo setups than me... do a search and check out what they think...

how much would it cost to turbo?

I had my original mk1 turbo setup running 6-7psi for $400.....but that was with atleast 50 hours of my own time.

......and I'm not going to add up what I've spend on mk3!!! ;) :hmm:

Definitely have a look at the FAQ, then, at the risk of sounding boring work out what you want to do and plan it!

No point turbo'ing it if you can't afford to do a good job and it fries motors all the time. Not that a replacement motor is hard to come by for these things, but if it's your only car to get to work and you're changing motors every weekend you're going to get pissed off pretty quickly. Not to mention legalities.

So, you want more out of her, in a straight line? Around corners? Do you want to take it to the track on weekends? Drags? Most importantly, what's your budget, and how much do you know about working on cars??

Give us a bit more info and I'm sure the heads around here can give you some good ideas, but only after you read the FAQ a few times! :hmm:

well what i really want is more power out of it like more power taking off etc i don't really know too much i am a fair novice when it comes to cars i was thinkiny maybe getting extractors and a 2inch exhaust out through it