Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ke55 5spd Gearbox Into Ke11

Featured Replies

Alrite.

So I recently picked up what I thought to be a "ke55 5spd"

Its definately a 5spd, I have rebuilt it, new bearings etc.

It was fitted up today, and shifter hole is about 6 inches back from original spot.

 

Anyway, is this becuase its a Ke70 box? Perhaps? :D

 

Or Is it simply a ke55 box and this is the best that it will fit?

 

I don't really wanna have to cut my baby :lol:

 

Help much appreciated.

 

Thanks

Luke

You'll have to cut it unfortunately.

 

The upside is the shifter location will be in a more natural position, not to mention better economy and more comfy cruise revs on the highway.

 

Both the '55 and '70 5 speeds have shifter locations further rearwards than a ke1x 4speed. The '70 box shifter location is further back than the '55 box.

  • Author
You'll have to cut it unfortunately.

 

The upside is the shifter location will be in a more natural position, not to mention better economy and more comfy cruise revs on the highway.

 

Both the '55 and '70 5 speeds have shifter locations further rearwards than a ke1x 4speed. The '70 box shifter location is further back than the '55 box.

 

Ahuh!

I don't mind cutting, just thought I read somewhere that it would line up in the original position.

 

 

 

Source a KE55 5 speed rear gearbox extension housing and swap it all over to make it line up in the original position :lol:

 

I am sure I have KE55, please read above and repost, I am more inclined to believe Felix.

You have confuzzled me Raven :D

Think I have heard of this before,

Does this apply to putting a 5 speed in a KE20 as well ?

I am currently under the impression that it does.

 

Can anyone enlighten me ? Because I probably need to look at putting a

5 speed in mine eventually.

 

Cheers

A picture of the gearbox would help us identify exactly which gearbox you have

I am sure I have KE55, please read above and repost, I am more inclined to believe Felix.

You have confuzzled me Raven :lol:

 

The rear section of the gearbox (where the shifter bolts into), as Felix has stated, sits further back than a KE55 5 speed.

 

So if you swap the KE70 5 Speed rear housing over with a KE55 5 Speed rear housing, it will bring the shifter location forward so you don't have to do a heap of cutting of the transmission tunnel like you would with the current extension housing.

 

So it effectively converts your 5 Speed from a KE70 5 Speed (further back shifter location) to a KE55 5 speed (closer, but not quite factory).

 

Hopefully that explains it better. :D

Edited by Raven

I just picked up a KE55 5 speed as well, so all this is good tasty info.

 

Mine is an Auto KE1x though, anyone confirm the rumour that the KE55 shifter will line up with the hole for a Toyoglide 2 Speed? It's going to be mighty close thats for sure.....

 

TP.

  • 2 weeks later...

u need a ke35 to 55 box to fit in a ke20 or ke10 so u wont have to cut the floor. he obviously has a later box with the longer extension housing to suit a 70 and later. this was done to adjust for the longer wheel base of the vehicle. get a rare as hens teeth 5spd from a 35 if u can . good luck , i found mine by mistake thinking it was a 4spd in a wrecking yard in melb. hunt around u may get lucky

u just have to make a plate to go around it using a hole saw for the shifter. fits nice and snug then . use a piece of aluminum sheet which u can get from a hardware store, easy to cut and can flex nicely to fit around the shifter and against the tunnel . drill 4 holes to line it up to the original mounting holes of the toyo shifter. quite easy

Edited by Ke20nut

u need a ke35 to 55 box to fit in a ke20 or ke10 so u wont have to cut the floor.

 

:( No. A ke10's shifter location is further forward than that of a ke20.

 

The k series boxes have 3 different shifter locations.

 

Forward: ke1x series

Middle: ke2/3/5x

Rear: ke70

u need a ke35 to 55 box to fit in a ke20 or ke10 so u wont have to cut the floor. he obviously has a later box with the longer extension housing to suit a 70 and later. this was done to adjust for the longer wheel base of the vehicle. get a rare as hens teeth 5spd from a 35 if u can . good luck , i found mine by mistake thinking it was a 4spd in a wrecking yard in melb. hunt around u may get lucky

And here i was thinking it was the driveshaft that was longer.

Otherwise you wouldn't be able to just swap over the extension housing but you'd also have to swap out the output shaft as well

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.