Flipping Leafs

benzo

Hey guys just wondering if anyone can help me as to flipping leafs in a KE20.

I have not done this before, as I have always used lowering blocks.

I have found that my lowering blocks are the wrong ones again gah :P

so I have heard that flipping the 2nd leaf will lower it about 2 inches, only thing is how do I do this?

Speedy reply appreciated!

Cheers, Ben.

Members dont see this ad

Pull the leaf out (a bolt at each end then the bolts that hold the diff to the leaf) and it should become fairly self explanatory.

The leaf pack is held together by a couple of steel "C" brackets around each end, thes hold the springs together but allow them to slide. There will also be a single bolt through the leaves in the middle of the pack.

Undo the bolt and also pry open the "C" brackets. Take care when bending them, you want to bend them as little as possible and don't stuff up the rubber bush inside the brackets. The leaf pack will seperate once this stuff is all off.

There's a number of ways to now lower the pack, and every one of these ways is dodgy as. Usually people just choose a smaller leaf, flip it and bolt it on top of the larger leaf. You'll need a couple of g clamps to gently compress the pack in order to get the bolt back through the centre.

There you go. Dodgy as hell, and your guess is as good as mine about which leaf = how low you'll get it. Trial and error.

just play around with a few different combo of leaves flipped and or added.

Safest way the remove and re-fit that centre bolt is to put the whole leaf pack in a bench vice. That way it hopefully unload and smack you in the head. :P

hey ben, iv flipped plenty off leafs haha dodgey meh! but ye its safer to undo each bolt at the end off the leaf packs and take the whole leaf pack out and do it in a clamp but that way takes longer and is more messing around i reckon,

i just leave them in there and undo the clamps that hold them to the diff then they will fall down so you can get to them easyer, then undo the main bolt going threw the middle holding them all togethor, don't be scared when undoing the main bolt that they will flip out and smack you in the face because they arnt under that much pressure,

once thats undone you can now play with the leafs, i think the smallest one on top can come free but the second one under that one has clamps holding the leafs togethor that you will have to bend to get it free,

so when i do it i usually take the top two leafs and just flip them upside down and put them straight back on top, i recommend you do this.

then ye just sit them on top upside down and try and line them up with the hole and get your clamps and slowly clamp it down, i recommend using a thin long piece of metal to poke up threw the hole off the leafs to make sure its lined up, this way you wont clamp them all the way down and find you can't get the bolt threw as one isnt lined up,

although if you can get the piece of metal in there you can kind off jam it across to line it up so you don't have to undo the clamps and redo it all again, just be kind off gental so they don't fall off the other leafs, hahah

then once the leafs are all clamped down put your main bolt back threw and do it up! now your all safe and they can't flip out and go threw your face causing serious brain damage! i reckon if the leafs flipped out once compressed under that amount off pressure while your under the car or over the top off them you would deffinatly be in need for a face reconstruction... :P haha but yeeeeeeh!

back on the subject, then just do as you did when you undid it all put the clamps back on, if you have bump stops just take them out and ye do it all up nice an tight and drop it down yeeew! the two top leafs flipped on a ke20 will sit a good hight, if you ever saw my yelo 20 lowered at the back then thats what you will get, :P

oh and don't forget to bend those clamps on the second leaf back around the leaf pack, they don't hold them togethor really they just stop them from sliding out sideways & moving around, and it looks tidy for when the cop shines his light under and has a look.

hope that helps you out ben,

i have done it other ways like take the 2nd to last leaf and just flip that but its way more bouncy that way,

the super best way to do it is go out and get yourself anouther one of the bigger ke20 leafs and flip one off the bigger leafs and add one more leaf, that works really well lowering it a good 2" and its not to bouncy just really stiff!

cheers, haydo

the super best way to do it is go out and get yourself anouther one of the bigger ke20 leafs and flip one off the bigger leafs and add one more leaf, that works really well lowering it a good 2" and its not to bouncy just really stiff!

May consider doing it this way in the future.

I have heard that bounce can be the big problem with flipping the leaves over. Good to know there

is a cheap solution !

Cheers

hey ben, iv flipped plenty off leafs haha dodgey meh! but ye its safer to undo each bolt at the end off the leaf packs and take the whole leaf pack out and do it in a clamp but that way takes longer and is more messing around i reckon,

i just leave them in there and undo the clamps that hold them to the diff then they will fall down so you can get to them easyer, then undo the main bolt going threw the middle holding them all togethor, don't be scared when undoing the main bolt that they will flip out and smack you in the face because they arnt under that much pressure,

once thats undone you can now play with the leafs, i think the smallest one on top can come free but the second one under that one has clamps holding the leafs togethor that you will have to bend to get it free,

so when i do it i usually take the top two leafs and just flip them upside down and put them straight back on top, i recommend you do this.

then ye just sit them on top upside down and try and line them up with the hole and get your clamps and slowly clamp it down, i recommend using a thin long piece of metal to poke up threw the hole off the leafs to make sure its lined up, this way you wont clamp them all the way down and find you can't get the bolt threw as one isnt lined up,

although if you can get the piece of metal in there you can kind off jam it across to line it up so you don't have to undo the clamps and redo it all again, just be kind off gental so they don't fall off the other leafs, hahah

then once the leafs are all clamped down put your main bolt back threw and do it up! now your all safe and they can't flip out and go threw your face causing serious brain damage! i reckon if the leafs flipped out once compressed under that amount off pressure while your under the car or over the top off them you would deffinatly be in need for a face reconstruction... :dance: haha but yeeeeeeh!

back on the subject, then just do as you did when you undid it all put the clamps back on, if you have bump stops just take them out and ye do it all up nice an tight and drop it down yeeew! the two top leafs flipped on a ke20 will sit a good hight, if you ever saw my yelo 20 lowered at the back then thats what you will get, :hmm:

oh and don't forget to bend those clamps on the second leaf back around the leaf pack, they don't hold them togethor really they just stop them from sliding out sideways & moving around, and it looks tidy for when the cop shines his light under and has a look.

hope that helps you out ben,

i have done it other ways like take the 2nd to last leaf and just flip that but its way more bouncy that way,

cheers, haydo

Cheers Haydn thats quite a good explanation. :lolcry:

Will give it a shot saturday, hopefully I don't smack myself out.

Only thing is the front is super high, don't know whether to leave as is and look like your 11 did, or just cut a few coils off :y:

Cheers, Ben.

Cheers Haydn thats quite a good explanation. :lolcry:

Only thing is the front is super high, don't know whether to leave as is and look like your 11 did, or just cut a few coils off :dance:

Cheers, Ben.

I'd be careful with a super low rear and high front, it messes up your rake {correct body attitude with the front lower than the back} Basically unbalance your car too much and it will understeer like crazy, almost like a tractor beam for gutters and trees. Esp Trees for some reason, I'm not sure why. Also, in a tiny but still bad way makes your steering wheel relatively higher, so that when you do smack into the immovable object, your forehead is far more likely to push your Saas or Momo steeringwheel inside out! TALK ABOUT UNWANTED HEADACHES!!

Cheers Haydn thats quite a good explanation. :)

Only thing is the front is super high, don't know whether to leave as is and look like your 11 did, or just cut a few coils off :no2:

Cheers, Ben.

i say cut those f@$kin coils! yeeeeehhh! hah! oh i just reset my leafs in the 11 just before i just put them back to how there ment to be but just flipped the smallest leaf and the middle leaf thats completey flat almost and now it sits at perfect hight level with the front and its not bouncy atall its wicked bra!

just give it a shot an if its f@$ked then do it again but only flip the smallest one and the middle one...

cheers.

Googs? :y: :hmm: :y: :dance:

munch the googys like a googy monsta! or do it like luke and put them up your bum bum :lolcry: and then have way sore heads in the morning....

I'd be careful with a super low rear and high front, it messes up your rake {correct body attitude with the front lower than the back} Basically unbalance your car too much and it will understeer like crazy, almost like a tractor beam for gutters and trees. Esp Trees for some reason, I'm not sure why. Also, in a tiny but still bad way makes your steering wheel relatively higher, so that when you do smack into the immovable object, your forehead is far more likely to push your Saas or Momo steeringwheel inside out! TALK ABOUT UNWANTED HEADACHES!!

yes i agree i had a overrated bugeye 323 wags and me an mate flipped the rear and left the front as we didnt have time an needed to get to a mates for drinks, so later that night we take her out doing ringys an shit in some grass paddock an come flying around my mates corner got megga side ways and had no control over the steering(plus i was pissed) and understeer massivly, mounted the curb, over a sign and then came to a stop with the front in a tree out the front of my mates,

wasnt overrated anymore... got it fixed tho so all good.