Ca18det Eng.mounts To Ke Crossmember

ca18ke20

hey all I'm new to rollaclub,

ive got a ke20 corolla, and I'm in the process of instaling a ca18det in it. ive noticed that a few of you have got corollas with ca's in the eng. bay. I'm wondering what eng. mounts did use use,did use modify the cross member or just make new brakets to sit the motor on to the mounts?any pics would be a great help to me. plus any info on brake/suspension upgrades would be helpful.

thanks.

Members dont see this ad

from my experience ive seen them put in ae86's

they use custom mounts and x member but i heard you can use rb20 mounts aswell

the transmission tunnel needs to be modified to fit the shifter in, unless you want the shifter placed 3-4 inches back further, then you will have to modify the handbrake so it doesnt hit the gear shifter.

custom tailshaft, and I'm sure your diff will be upgraded aswell to hold the power of the 1.8L turbo in comparison to the old carby, your diff will shatter.

and its extremely important to place the motor as low and as far back in. but not to low to hit the sump etc.

basic common sense.

but its a bit of f@$king around. worth it in the end in my opinion.

86drivingclub has a write up somewhere, but its probably different for ke10/20/30/ etc etc.

front suspension is generally just ae86 coilovers/struts with JDM vented disc

or FC rx7 brakes on ae86 coilovers/struts

or ive seen a few guys have s13 front coilovers with s13 brakes etc but I'm guessing that would involve a lot of modification.

but basically just use your common sense and research everything properly so you know exactly what you are doing, then you can decide what is cheaper and better value for money in the long run, and what you want to use the car for ?

Edited by D1doony

thanks for that, ive ended up getting a s13 half cut so ive basicly got everything here from it. thinkin of usin a borg warner diff or just goin ford 9 inch.I'm planing on getting big times down the quarter mile with it. I'm in the process of moddifying the tunnel and minni tubbing it atm.

hey mate. i've put a ca18det into my ke20 and i found there is no need to modify the crossmember you just need to make new mounts for the engine. i don't think there would be much point in making a new crossmember as i suspect the gearbox would foul on the steering arms (the one that links the box to the lhs). as for brakes you can go with later model corolla or celica stuff, the s13 conversion or you can pay the money for the hoppers stoppers kit which is 285mm discs and twin piston a calipers with custom hubs and caliper brackets. i went this option but it did cost me 1400 bucks. and if you are going to the trouble of upgrading brakes i would seriously consider rebuilding the entire front suspension ie ball joints, tie rods, swaybar bushes, swaybar link bushes, raduis rod bushes and lower inner bushes as the oem stuff is at least 34 years old and most likely shagged. you will need to budget at least 1.6 to 2 grand for an lsd conversion as the ke20 diff doesnt last very long. if you want pics of mounts and anything else just pm me and i'll sort it out. and if you search the website their is a thread by me with a heap of photos showing front end rebuild. this project should keep you entertained for years. its kept me busy and broke lol.

hey mate. i've put a ca18det into my ke20 and i found there is no need to modify the crossmember you just need to make new mounts for the engine. i don't think there would be much point in making a new crossmember as i suspect the gearbox would foul on the steering arms (the one that links the box to the lhs). as for brakes you can go with later model corolla or celica stuff, the s13 conversion or you can pay the money for the hoppers stoppers kit which is 285mm discs and twin piston a calipers with custom hubs and caliper brackets. i went this option but it did cost me 1400 bucks. and if you are going to the trouble of upgrading brakes i would seriously consider rebuilding the entire front suspension ie ball joints, tie rods, swaybar bushes, swaybar link bushes, raduis rod bushes and lower inner bushes as the oem stuff is at least 34 years old and most likely shagged. you will need to budget at least 1.6 to 2 grand for an lsd conversion as the ke20 diff doesnt last very long. if you want pics of mounts and anything else just pm me and i'll sort it out. and if you search the website their is a thread by me with a heap of photos showing front end rebuild. this project should keep you entertained for years. its kept me busy and broke lol.

thanks for that info mate, I'm rebuilding the hole car so every bush is going to be replaced, i like the idea of those brakes you have used. where abouts did u get them from.they sound a lot better than the s13 brakes and stuts i have. I'm building the motor for max hp so i need good brakes to stop.

Also did the hopper stopper conversion with 295mm rotors and twin piston PBR sports cailpers. Pretty good setup very happy though they are heavy and add extra unsprung weight. a ford nine inch would be overkill and you wouldn t fit it without cutting the floor up. Go hilux if you want something strong. I would avoid the b/warner as the LSD'S are shit for them. Search some off the topics i have written as i have been over alot of the stuff you are askin many times before.

U could always buy my rolla and save yourself 20k everything has been replaced in it from bumper to bumper

Also did the hopper stopper conversion with 295mm rotors and twin piston PBR sports cailpers. Pretty good setup very happy though they are heavy and add extra unsprung weight. a ford nine inch would be overkill and you wouldn t fit it without cutting the floor up. Go hilux if you want something strong. I would avoid the b/warner as the LSD'S are shit for them. Search some off the topics i have written as i have been over alot of the stuff you are askin many times before.

U could always buy my rolla and save yourself 20k everything has been replaced in it from bumper to bumper

thanks for the info mate, the hopper stoper brake set up sounds like the way to go. i know they are heavy but a good brake set up is a must.

id rather build my ke20 mate nothins more rewarding than building your own car. if i buy your rolla it wont be the same. good luck with the sale though.