T Motor Mounts For A Ke20

Rob74coupe

just through searching (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=Toyota+Engine+Mount+corolla&Ntk=Main&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=4294966745)

i found that yanks, the lucky bastards, got ke20s with T motors, and we can buy their engine and gearbox mounts... which sounds good to me, i was just wodering if anyone knows if these mounts will bolt straight to my k motor crossmember, or do ke20 with t donks have different crossmembers??? also do t gearboxes have hydraulic clutches??

Members dont see this ad
  • 3 weeks later...

sorry, i forgot i started this thread. so is a TE corolla, by definition a KE with a T motor instead of a K motor?

how hard are TE2x rollas to find, do you pretty much have to import em from japan? and the x-member will bolt straight in right?

apart from that I'm figuring:

get the TE engine mounts,

T Series gear box and fabricate a x-member? or TE gearbox x-member?

Hydraulic clutch retro-fitted,

T Series Diff or yoke changed and tailshaft shortened or lengthened to suit (and pray that the K diff holds up to T power)

and of course the mighty T donk itself, and all the assorted efi jazz:

Surge Tank,

EFI Pump,

ECU + Wiring

Exhaust plumbing

Intercooler (I WISH)

i suppose id have to look beyond fitting KE70 front brakes and KE30 rears??

let me know if i've left anything out..

cheers,

Rob

Yes youi're correct with the TE/KE thing.

Quick guide to Toyota prefixes:

First letter(s) is the Engine type eg K, T, A, G, J etc

Second letter is the chassis code. E = corolla, weather its KE, AE, ZE etc.

Then the numbers on the end are the specific model.

So.....

KE30 = K motor, corolla chassis, 30 is model.

RA40 = R motor, Celica chassis (A=celica/supra), 40 is model

JZA80 = JZ motor, celica chassis, 80 is model

etc etc.

There is other alternatives to fitting a T motor on a K cross member, rather than using the TE cross member. Believe they are gemini engine mounts or something. PM Flat_out...he has a 2T on a stock K cross member, just ask what mounts he used. Launy boy too.

As for GB cross member, anybody know if a KE20 has the second set of bolt holes in T50 spot like 30/55's????

Yes you'll have to fit hydro clutch. Thats not hard.

With a bit more power than a K you shouldn't have to much trouble breaking a KE20 diff. Maybe upgrade to a T series diff now, with tail shaft. Then your spline and diff yoke is correct, will just have to shorten the tail shaft to suit the KE20.

coolio... I'm very much a fan of bolt in conversions, mainly cos i can't weld engine mounts (or anything else for that matter (actually i made a spark plug man in year 10 metal shop (but thats kinda different)))

the gemini mounts sound promising would you know if there was much fabrication involved?? (ill pm him sometime)

i know this question gets asked alot, but what is the most "bolt-in-able" engine conversion for a ke20..

k and t motors sound 100% bolt in as long as you have the right parts...

i don't mind having a junkyard dog with parts from 20 different cars, but i so don't want to do the research and development to make myself new mounts

p.s. why does the 2.2L 5sfe in my mums camry make less power than a 3sfe??? and what are the options for an S donk into a KE series (actualy, now that i know, an E series)

cheers,

rob

coolio... I'm very much a fan of bolt in conversions, mainly cos i can't weld engine mounts (or anything else for that matter (actually i made a spark plug man in year 10 metal shop (but thats kinda different)))

the gemini mounts sound promising would you know if there was much fabrication involved?? (ill pm him sometime)

Don't think so. Don't quote me, but I think if you use the gemi mounts its sort of like using and "Adapter plate".

i know this question gets asked alot, but what is the most "bolt-in-able" engine conversion for a ke20..

5K!!! :bash:

k and t motors sound 100% bolt in as long as you have the right parts...

i don't mind having a junkyard dog with parts from 20 different cars, but i so don't want to do the research and development to make myself new mounts

p.s. why does the 2.2L 5sfe in my mums camry make less power than a 3sfe??? and what are the options for an S donk into a KE series (actualy, now that i know, an E series)

You're learning!! :) now the whole ke70/ae71 thing makes sence hey!?

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/?showtopic=11909 :dance:

cheers,

rob

so when i go to the wreckers and ask for a ke70 and the guy shows me a 70 with a 3/4a hes just showing how ignorant he is about toyota nomenclature??? is the 71 body different to the 70 body?

(i know absolutely nothing about any corolla that comes with anything other than a k motor)

cheers for the info, really helpfull.

Rob

p.s i know all the body codes and that are in the faq (which ive read pretty extensively) but someone new to old rollas (like me) might not know all this stuff

ae71 is not a ke70.

different engine crossmember with an A series engine.

and t50 gearbox.

a T motor will never bolt up correctly to a ke20 xmember.

as ive done the conversion in my ke35 and if i was to do it the way people suggest with X mounts and shit the engine fouls on all kinds of things.

but it depends if ur running twin side draughts or ur goin efi.

personally i wouldnt use the shit efi that they came with they are an old motor so use carbies.

ur best option to convert it to a te20 u will need either xmember from the states or japan. good luck gettin one. or make custom engine mounts.

its not hard. i did it and i can't even weld very well. got a mate whos a coded welder to tig them up for me.

my 5cents

ur best option to convert it to a te20 u will need either xmember from the states or japan. good luck gettin one. or make custom engine mounts.

its not hard. i did it and i can't even weld very well. got a mate whos a coded welder to tig them up for me.

my 5cents

quote for truth

just need to get a crossmember from wherever has a t engine in 20 series corolla locally delivered

like usa for example there will be heaps of them and LHD should not affect the crossmember part

in my ke36 i did the opposite of 2TGEU KE35 above and imported a TE38 crossmember from malaysia with the corresponding engine mounts ~ make sure you get these too!

bolted in no hassle and i have the peace of mind knowing the motor position and tailshaft alignment etc is exactry rike sakichi say...

quote for truth

just need to get a crossmember from wherever has a t engine in 20 series corolla locally delivered

like usa for example there will be heaps of them and LHD should not affect the crossmember part

in my ke36 i did the opposite of 2TGEU KE35 above and imported a TE38 crossmember from malaysia with the corresponding engine mounts ~ make sure you get these too!

bolted in no hassle and i have the peace of mind knowing the motor position and tailshaft alignment etc is exactry rike sakichi say...

What mike has done is the beta option.

But I just wanted to do it myself.

I'm not 100% happy with the position but I can always fix it up if I get time.

Btw mike where did u buy ur te3x crossmember and mounts for those who might want to know?