Corolla Panel Van

xstatic

how everyone going???

heres the thing for a long time i have wanted a panel van and was looking at a wb for i bought my ae82. But in the future i want to get corolla van.

couple of questions though

1. is there enough room to sleep in the back???

2. is there any rare parts that are hard to get hold of

3. what is a decent price for one thats not a pile of rust??

cheers

scott

Members dont see this ad

1. I haven't tried sleeping in the back of mine but I think I'd be able to if i put my head at the tailgate end and hung my feet over the end where the seats are, one seat would have to be forward and tilted forward also to be able to do so, but in answer to your question yeah i guess you could.

2. I'm talking in terms of the KE70 van i have here, some stuff is different, some is same as sedans. Say for instance you want little stuff like a headlight suround, corner light and a bumper bar, you will have an absolute pain in the arse of a time finding them, seatbelts too and doors as well (trademe NZ is a good place to find these parts easier than Australia). But if you were restoring one and weren't concerned about originality, you could put a full KE70 sedan set of panels on the front.

3. If you can pick one up without rust for anything under 2K you're getting a bargain, like anything if you're patient in your search you will find the right car at the right price.

I'd definitely say if you were to get a corolla van that the doors+trims would be rare and hard to find. Also the tailgate might be hard to find. The older the van the harder is is to find parts. There is nothing wrong with a good wagon. Wagons are good because they have 4 doors, can carry passengers and you can drop the back seat which converts it into a van. I'd say there would be enough room for you to lay in it. As for windows, get yourself some curtins. Well that what I'm doing with my wagon, who needs a van.

The door trims are similar to the KE35 two door hardtops, but not sure on exact length.

I had a KE36 panel van and used to nap in it at lunch time's at work haha.

You kind have to curl up (if you're tall like me) and lay diagonal in the back from corner to corner.

If you wanted more room, I'd suggest fitting a false floor to clear the wheel arches to get a better sleeping position and to also fit a mattress :P

All 35's do go over the top. The doors are designed differently than the vans, therefore needing it to go over the top.

You can cut a 35 trim, I've seen it done before but it isn't too neat.

cheers guys

i used to have a lite ace van (until some idiot in a 80k range ran up the bak of my 1200 dllar liteace HAHA)

and i put a floating floor in that and blocked the back off from the cabin wasn't the best job but my double bed mattress fitted in perfectly i will see if i can find pics.

sorry about my typing but my keyboard batteries are going flat so yeah

cheers

scott

1. Can sleep in the back easy, I do it all the time when I head up or down the coast.

If your real tall then you just need to push the seats forward.

2. I agree with Paul on parts, the front end is a pain in the arse,

The rest is quite interchangable with the 70/71's except for the alternator... wow don't get me started on that piece of nipendenso brain explosion..

3. Cost is relevant to condition, expect to pay a little more than the something the same in the sedan.

and yeah I agree the wagons are worth a look into as well, cept they're getting harder to source in good nic also!!

:(

1. plenty of room, fold seats foward, easy.

2. like goldke70 said the front end of the ke70 panno is a bitch to come by, also the tail lights are different to wagon ones

3. depends on condition, and seller, ive had 3 ke70 pannos, 1. $350, 2. $450, 3. $500.

I use the panelvan for wintercamping. I can stretchout inside the van, if I lie crosswise and passenger seat is forward.

This beast is a workhorse. :fuzz:

Camping and bike-transporter. Pushbike fits straight in, no disassembly.

The only drawback I can see is with AE71 Panelvan is the extra large doors; hard to find.

and perhaps the rear hatch door & bumper/mount ; replace from a wagon.

Otherwise rest is all standard AE71 parts.

Corolla panelvans are hard to find, but should be available (stock & 4AC) cheaply <$800.- :P

If cost is more, than they have been modyfied already; so u have a bargain point.

Picture of van; '83 AE71

post-4776-1216530201_thumb.jpg

post-4776-1216530545_thumb.jpg