4k/5k Temperature Senders

Hey.

post-5027-1217415670_thumb.png

I've got a 5k engine and a 4k engine. The 5k has a temperature sender (the top one in the photo above) which is different to the 4k (bottom one in the photo above). The 5k has a knob and the 4k has a long clip thing. Just wondering why they are different if they're more or less the same engine?

Cheers.

Members dont see this ad

i was just about to ask a very simliar question

i have noticed that on my 4k (and my friends one), they have BOTH of these, one is at the front kinda on that lil copper tube that sticks out of the thermostat holder, and the other is at the side, kinda hard to get to tucked away.

i orderd a brand new one from repco (temp gauge sender) and it cost me 20$, and it was the one with the little tab on the end

so buggered if i know what the one with the nobbly thing is for.... (i put the new temp sender where the nobly one was before, and the temp guage works fine, and nothing else is broken, the only thing i can think is that the nobbly one is for a electric fan switch, like FWD cars have?)

sorry not an informative post, but it adds a little more to the equation

i was just about to ask a very simliar question

i have noticed that on my 4k (and my friends one), they have BOTH of these, one is at the front kinda on that lil copper tube that sticks out of the thermostat holder, and the other is at the side, kinda hard to get to tucked away.

i orderd a brand new one from repco (temp gauge sender) and it cost me 20$, and it was the one with the little tab on the end

so buggered if i know what the one with the nobbly thing is for.... (i put the new temp sender where the nobly one was before, and the temp guage works fine, and nothing else is broken, the only thing i can think is that the nobbly one is for a electric fan switch, like FWD cars have?)

sorry not an informative post, but it adds a little more to the equation

That second one is for the heater i believe the drivers on is the temp sender to your dash!

Hm... I went to Malz to find one to replace the one that wasn't working and found one that was $30. Then went to super cheap... didn't have them in and then went to Veale and they had one for $11. I took them home and tried each one and of course the $30 one had to work... but my temp gauge works now so meh. I also bought a gregorys manual! Excited about that. :bash:

When I chucked my 5K into my KE30 I had to swap the senders over. The temp kept reading really high as if it was overheating but it wasn't. There must be a real reason, not cosmetic, as to why Toyota did this.