August 3, 200818 yr comment_265629 I found a pool of water that has leaked in from my rusty arse boot. Of course, on the other side of the boot, there is a rusted hole that goes through the metal, so the water can't pool up... :) I dunno if this is some kind of syphoning hose? I'm really pissed... cause the guy who sold it to me probably knew this was gonna happen and still sold it to me for $1.5k... I know it's my responsibility to check this stuff before I bought it but f**kkk. Considering I have to get this fixed and (and I can't do it myself) it's going to cost me nearly the value of the car (car & superlites + tyres), I'm wondering what the best option is... what would you guys do? Sell the friggon car? Or get the boot opening repaired for $2.5k? Cheers. Edited August 3, 200818 yr by Mybowlcut Report
August 3, 200818 yr Author comment_265634 After asking a few people I'm thinking I might just temporarily putty the holes up until winter is gone... Still, any opinions are welcome. Report
August 3, 200818 yr comment_265636 i would be inclined to attack it with kill rust, and some primer (so it doesn't rust any more), and not actually cover the holes up, so that further water can get out? Report
August 3, 200818 yr Author comment_265640 i would be inclined to attack it with kill rust, and some primer (so it doesn't rust any more), and not actually cover the holes up, so that further water can get out?So you mean use kill rust and primer on the top of the boot where the water is getting in, right? Report
August 3, 200818 yr comment_265642 I have a feeling that there is actually a drain hole normally on the E7's so you should be able to unblock it and drain the water out. Otherwise, drill a hole (not a huge one, just enough to allow the water to drain) and then allow the water out and dry it up and remember to paint the drilled hole!! Otherwise it'll rust out all around it. If you do that, obviously the water wont pool again. And if you're not going to fix any of the rust properly (cut and weld) don't bog it, it'll only make things worse in the long run. Instead layer it with fish oil, I mean cover it, it'll stop the rust for the time being and you'll also be able to see if the rust is getting any worse in the long run. Report
August 3, 200818 yr Author comment_265662 Cheers for that advice Golberg. I know you said not to bog it, but what about putting some silicon in the holes for the time being? Edited August 3, 200818 yr by Mybowlcut Report
August 3, 200818 yr comment_265688 Yeah that "Rusty Hole" is meant to be there. Maybe not rusty but as a drainage hole yes. As for the other side being full of water, find the hole from underneath and poke it through. Report
August 3, 200818 yr comment_265766 Cheers for that advice Golberg. I know you said not to bog it, but what about putting some silicon in the holes for the time being? As JiP has said, you're going to want at least one hole there anyway, its good to allow it to drain if its otherwise going to fill up. Why is the boot leaking anyway? Common reasons I've seen are, just at the bottom of the rear window, rust above tail lights, rubber boot seal dead and the seals on the tail lights dead (very common). If its the last problem, you can pick up brand new lights for $100 odd usually. Report
August 3, 200818 yr Author comment_265891 As JiP has said, you're going to want at least one hole there anyway, its good to allow it to drain if its otherwise going to fill up. Why is the boot leaking anyway?Common reasons I've seen are, just at the bottom of the rear window, rust above tail lights, rubber boot seal dead and the seals on the tail lights dead (very common). If its the last problem, you can pick up brand new lights for $100 odd usually. and also the boot opening - the seal seems to be fine. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now