"jesus" - The Sacrificial Lamb?

machg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still no go, when hooked up everything as it should need by wiring diagrams, I am getting 12V to both sides of the injector. That is 12V from the supply wires from the ballast resistor and 12V from #10 (injectors 1 & 2) and #20 (injectors 3 & 4). To my understanding, #10 and #20 should be a dead end circuit until they create earth for injector pulses. When I unplug the power supply to the injectors, the reading to #10 and #20 drops to 0 too. @#$%^&*^%

I wise man once said "If you find yourself stuck in a hole, stop digging" - with that in mind, I have secured the services of a qualified mechanic to come and have a look at the bitch, and if bales on me again, (LOL) there'll be $50 for another toyota guru to come down and have a look.

Edited by machg

Jonny came down today, and we managed to get the thing running, sort of. Its good to know I haven't stuffed up any of the wiring. We had trouble getting the timing light to flash when hooked up to 2 of the leads, suggesting only 2 cylinders were getting decent spark. :yes: Jonny suggested a new set of plugs, so I put a new set in. Fair dinkum, this project is cursed. Wouldn't run on the new plugs. Turns out one of the new plugs is f@$ked, how unlucky can you get? In summary; have fuel pressure, injectors are now working, compression is 150psi on all 4 cylinders, timing is roughly right and I am getting some spark on all 4 plugs, and still won't run properly. Glad I am not a mechanic for a living, this is really starting to shit me.

Edited by machg

Jonny came down today, and we managed to get the thing running, sort of. Its good to know I haven't stuffed up any of the wiring. We had trouble getting the timing light to flash when hooked up to 2 of the leads, suggesting only 2 cylinders were getting decent spark. :yes: Jonny suggested a new set of plugs, so I put a new set in. Fair dinkum, this project is cursed. Wouldn't run on the new plugs. Turns out one of the new plugs is f@$ked, how unlucky can you get? In summary; have fuel pressure, injectors are now working, compression is 150psi on all 4 cylinders, timing is roughly right and I am getting some spark on all 4 plugs, and still won't run properly. Glad I am not a mechanic for a living, this is really starting to shit me.

your making progress, maybe try testing the resistance of the leads, check the distributer cap and rotor button as well a timing light should work even if the spark plug is shorted out.

Getting there: Actually had it running and semi-driveable today. I disconnected the "open circuit" relay and found an STA wire which I had accidentally connected to the positive battery terminal. I am not sure about tuning, I will have to get the coolant temp sensor fixed, then fiddle with the idle speed and mixture (screw on air flow meter) some more. Would the ECU be running "closed loop" mode at idle?

This is my understanding of how the 2T-GE works:

post-1760-1231193569.jpg

The ECU inputs are:

-ignition signal, 1 wire from (-) coil

-air flow meter, a few wires

-throttle switch or "TPS". 3 wires. Its just contacts for idle, part throttle, full throttle.

-intake air temp. Part of airflow meter. variable resistance.

-coolant temp. 2 wires. Variable resistance.

-O2 sensor. 1 wire. Signal between 0 and 1 volts from memory.

-starter signal. 1 wire coming from the starter solenoid

The ECU outputs are:

-injectors. 2 wires only.

The injectors get permanance power, via the resistor pack. The ECU earth the injectors to operate. Not sequential. Batch fire.

Edited by Jonny Rochester

I expect that when the throttle contacts are at idle, the computer goes in closed loop a bit, and varies things depending on exhaust sensor and temp sensors. It must do, otherwise why have a exhaust sensor?

The 5th cold start injector is not controled by the ECU. It is controled by its own funny relay, (called a thermo-time switch from memory?) which needs a power from the starter wire. I suspect you don't have that wire connected.

The "circuit opening relay" is triggered by contacts in the airflowmeter and/or the starter wire, and is used to power the fuel pump. But you have the fuel pump hard wired to the ignition, which is OK I guess.

The coolant sensor that is broken is indeed the same as early 4A-GE.

The broken sensor is the EFI water temp sensor. Part # 89422-30020 or 89422-12010. The dealership should be able to get it easy, but the local Repco or Burson may also have it as it's the same as lots of other toyotas. It is the same as early 4A-GE, but most commonly it is the same as on SV21 Camry. It is on the water housing at the back of the head on a SV21 Camry, so should be easy to get at the wrecker if not new.

The other water temp sensor on the same housing as your 2T-GE is the start-time sensor, to control the 5th injector I guess.

O.K. water temp sensor installed, still running like a bitch. Think 13BPP idle. Engine does not like throttle. It goes "best" (still shit) on partial throttle from 3000 - 4000 rpm. Have been playing with "mixture" screw on air flow meter. The only thing that seems to make any difference is by screwing it all the way down, then the engine doesn't run at all. I might go around all the dodgy joins I have made and solder and tape them. At least it is sort of driveable I suppose, what to try next?