September 15, 200818 yr comment_275104 Hey. I've got a rusty offtake thingy at the bottom of my radiator (that the bottom radiator hose connects to). Just wondering if there are places that will remove the rust and galvanize it or something so it won't rust again? Would a radiator reconditioning place do this? Cheers. :y: Report
September 15, 200818 yr comment_275146 erm just paint it. some people use a grease to stop the hose binding to the bottom outlet which would also stop it rusting but yeah no galvanising as far as i have seen, custom alloy yes but no electroplating at all. or new radiator for $230 or so or $300 recore in 3 row. Edited September 15, 200818 yr by styler Report
September 15, 200818 yr Author comment_275160 erm just paint it. some people use a grease to stop the hose binding to the bottom outlet which would alsostop it rusting but yeah no galvanising as far as i have seen, custom alloy yes but no electroplating at all. or new radiator for $230 or so or $300 recore in 3 row. Will painting it really stop it from rusting? Won't the temperature of the coolant melt the paint? It's a good radiator, just the rust is making it crap... I am not sure what is usually done to get rid of rust so galvanising was a guess haha. Custom alloy? Do you mean I could get it replaced with a custom-made alloy tube or something? I'd prefer to just replace this tube/offtake thing instead of paying for a new radiator. Cheers. Report
September 15, 200818 yr comment_275163 The radiator won't get over 100 degrees. Most paint should take that pretty easily, it'll definitely be better than nothing. Report
September 15, 200818 yr Author comment_275168 The radiator won't get over 100 degrees. Most paint should take that pretty easily, it'll definitely be better than nothing.Ah, ok. Cheers. Before I decide to paint it, does anyone know of any places that'd do custom alloy work like this? Report
September 15, 200818 yr comment_275173 jar ( just alloy radiators ) do an alloy model, was going for $400 or so. or 3 core rebuild resprayed in 2 pac paint i think. or standard 2 core had some sort of coating, as standard radiators have a copper core but are sprayed silver or black for corrosion resistance. Report
September 15, 200818 yr Author comment_275180 jar ( just alloy radiators ) do an alloy model, was going for $400 or so.or 3 core rebuild resprayed in 2 pac paint i think. or standard 2 core had some sort of coating, as standard radiators have a copper core but are sprayed silver or black for corrosion resistance. Nah, I don't wanna get it reconditioned or rebuilt, I'd just like to replace the tube thing. Report
September 15, 200818 yr comment_275214 Any radiator reconditioner will be able to cut the outlet off and braze on a new one for you. However if that is rusted, what are the chances the core is rusty too? Would be worth getting it looked at since you already have it out and are going to be spending money on filling it with coolant etc. Report
September 16, 200818 yr Author comment_275312 Any radiator reconditioner will be able to cut the outlet off and braze on a new one for you. However if that is rusted, what are the chances the core is rusty too? Would be worth getting it looked at since you already have it out and are going to be spending money on filling it with coolant etc.Exactly what I was thinking this morning... I took it to Natrad and the guy said that he can do that with the outlet... but I'm gonna bring it in anyway and see what he thinks. Cheers. :y: Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now