Question Regarding Disc Brake Conversion...

MR AE92

Hey guys my Corolla CSi unfortunately has the rear drum brakes on it and i want to convert to disc brakes. Is this possible? And if so what would be my best options in doing this conversion? I mean conversion by actually swapping the whole entire rear axle...

Cheers!

Dave

Members dont see this ad
too easy, just find an ae93 and swap everything related to the brakes

Including the rear hubs as well. Their different - the disc version has longer hubs compared to the drum version.

I think from memory the ae82 twincam is a possible swap as well.

So is the ae92 GTi

Edit - AE82, AE92 and AE101 Brake Upgrade Guide from the ToyMods forum

Edited by towe001

been there done that, mine was ae92 > ae92,

but you can do the ae82 > ae92 without changing the rear trailing arms.

this is what i used rear hubs, calipers, brake lines, hand brake cables, the rear most trailing arm (the bushes are different between drum and disc)

you can use the drum trailing arms you need to get the bushes made up to fit. so its easier to use the different trailing arms.

Thanks very much for everyone's help! :) Just one question, instead of sourcing all the parts to convert drum into discs, would it be easier to just get myself a Corolla SX whole rear axle and just replace my CSi one?

Technically they don't have a rear axle (FWD and IRS you see), but getting the whole rear end (trailing arm, ARB, strut, hub, rotor, caliper, brake lines, handbreak cable and control arm/toe links etc) is one way of being sure you've got everything you need.

Technically they don't have a rear axle (FWD and IRS you see), but getting the whole rear end (trailing arm, ARB, strut, hub, rotor, caliper, brake lines, handbreak cable and control arm/toe links etc) is one way of being sure you've got everything you need.

No worries! Cheers mate :)

while your at it. you may want to think about grabbing the front calipers and rotors off of a GTI/SX seca built after 6/91 for the larger front brakes as well.

this is assuming you what to have the full upgrade.

you either going to have 238*18 vented fronts or 243*13.5 solids on the fronts

where as the GTI/SX seca built after 6/91 had 258*22 vented fronts :)

just some food for thought ;)

while your at it. you may want to think about grabbing the front calipers and rotors off of a GTI/SX seca built after 6/91 for the larger front brakes as well.

this is assuming you what to have the full upgrade.

you either going to have 238*18 vented fronts or 243*13.5 solids on the fronts

where as the GTI/SX seca built after 6/91 had 258*22 vented fronts :)

just some food for thought ;)

No worries, thanks for that MYSTIK! So just to do the rear conversion on its own, what would that cost me roughly? I want to do the rear first then go better at the front later down the track.

Getting the discs would be pretty easy. Just pop into any auto place that sells DBA rotors and ask for DBA708 rotors (can get these slotted as well) and then go for a hunt for some AE102 calipers (and not AE101 calipers) through the wreckers...

Or AE112 calipers which also fit

Edit - As a note the AE82 twincam, AE92/93 GTi,SX share the same rear discs. Not sure about the calipers though. Which was solid disc 242mm diameter x 9mm wide with a center hole of 54mm. The AE10x series and up had a solid disc 266mm x 9mm but with a center hole of 55mm. It doesn't seam to be much but its what locates the disc on the hub.

And from memory the brake biasing was mostly done by the size of the rotors which is something else to look into with the master cylinder

Edited by towe001

The AE10x series and up had a solid disc 266mm x 9mm but with a center hole of 55mm. It doesn't seam to be much but its what locates the disc on the hub.

And from memory the brake biasing was mostly done by the size of the rotors which is something else to look into with the master cylinder

from my understanding toyota did this rather than play around the rear bias. ie bigger bite surface = better braking, but still use the same brake pad DB1147 :y:

yes you can use the AE10x or AE112 calipers or heres something i didnt know the AE95 4wd corolla station wagon with 4 wheel discs scored the same calipers at the front as the GTI/Seca SX

Edited by MYSTIK

from my understanding toyota did this rather than play around the rear bias. ie bigger bite surface = better braking, but still use the same brake pad DB1147 :y:

yes you can use the AE10x or AE112 calipers or heres something i didnt know the AE95 4wd corolla station wagon with 4 wheel discs scored the same calipers front as the GTI/Seca SX

so how much should i expect to pay in total for all the equipment i need?

From memory i paid around $150 for the front rotors (AE93) and around $100 for the AE102 front calipers. So at a guesstimation i'd figure around the $250 mark on the rear disc/caliper combo (pair of) and figure in about another $100-$200 for other crap you'll most likely need - hand brake cable, hubs, etc etc.

And thats a rough guess.

In a way is it really worth the hassle of converting to rear disc.

When you could spend less money on upping the front brakes

Or you could do a finger and foot search of the papers, wreckers, etc for a wrecked AExx twincam and do the complete brake upgrade along with a few other niceties

i think paid roughly $700 for front & rear calipers, front & rear rotors, rear hubs, all flexible brake hoses, handbrake cables, and rear trailing arms.

converting the rear to discs is only really worth it if you are going to, throw a 16v/20v 4age or 4agze into the car.

i mean this i only my opinion but then again i went through the hassle of converting my 89 cs hatch in preparation for a 4age conversion that never happened, mainly due to my current Seca coming up at the right time for way less than what it was going to convert my hatch.

Edited by MYSTIK