Alternator Problems..

David

okay.. now my alternator doesn't charge the battery

I was using the 4k alternator on my 2T engine because I didn't bother soldering new cables when I swapped the engine

a few days ago the charge light started to light.. I drove a bit and the engine died,flat battery.. then recharged the battery and drove home

now I have changed to a 2T alternator I know worked a half year ago, with a multimeter the + at the B pole( when the cable is disconnected ) and - at the battery when the engine runs it charge only 0.4v.. that isn't enough for me :\

what can be wrong? is really both alternators defect? sound strange to me.. but okay..

earth.. is trough the engine? can be a bad wire..

the black box that controlls if the alternator is charging or not? as I understand, if that box is defect it will just charge until the battery explode..

wrong wiring? since the 4k and 2T alternators is different, I had to make a new plug ( the one with 3 wires in ) maybe I got it wrong?

I don't think it's any fuses that have blown because I tested the alternator directly at the B pole..

what else can be wrong?

now I have to take the bus, that's crap!!! :D

Members dont see this ad

can't afford a auto electrican.. anyway, they don't have time before 1-2 weeks..

I might got the plug with the 3 wires in wrong.. but shouldn't it charge even when the 3 cables is disconnected? as long the 'B' cable is connected?

I forgot to say, I removed the battery because I had to tighten the bolts for the hood lock tingy I got, and then reconnected the battery, drove 15 mins and the charge light started to light..

you have possibly blown the charge light fuse, which will cause the light to glow, depending on your level of knowledge you can carry out some tests at home, but you will need to pull the alternator apart to do some of them.

the B pole is the high current charge pole, D+ is low current charge. the other two (usually dynamo field and d-) are how the voltage regulator tells how much voltage the rest of the loom (or specifically, the battery) is getting. so with just the B pole connected, part of your loom isn't getting charge voltage and your regulator isn't being told to allow voltage to leave the alternator

you need all the wires hooked up hey

and if it's a denso alternator, you do have the external regulator right? you can't just plug E N F or whatever they are they are into D+ DF D- B of the loom

what do you mean?

from alternator: E to D+, N to DF and F to D- and B what?

I got the connection on the dynamo wrong, I got mixed up and F and E was wrong, it's fixed now, but still doesn't charge

fuse for *ENGINE* behind the battery was broken, renewed the fuse.. still doesn't charge

charge fuse seems okay, renewed it just to be sure

the thick B wire is okay, tested with multimeter

the other 3 wires I don't know which is possitive and negative..

also have to check my regulator tomorrow, and maybe I head to a wrecker to pick a new one..

can I use any regulator? since ke70's is really rare here in norway, but we got alot of carina 1/2, fwd rolla, etc

both the old and new alternator was nippon denso with external regulator...

help needed!!

so you are using a voltage regulator. i meant you can't hook up E N F or whatever the alternator poles are to the loom's DF B D, in any order at all. you need the voltage regulator between them. which you have

so yeah, sounds like you might have fried your v-reg. i don't know if others work, but i would assume so. usually alternators are interchangeable as long as the terminals are all the same, so i would assume vregs are the same

that is IF you can find one, later model cars usually had regulators internal to the alternator. perhaps an auto parts shop can sell you an aftermarket one to suit, rather than trying to adapt something second hand from another vehicle?

good luck, let us know now you go

Edited by Super Jamie

YEAH!

it works now! :D

it was my old 4k alternator that was dead, and when I changed to use the 2T alternator the plug with 3 wires in was at different location, and I din't see it at the first.. then I saw the ENGINE fuse was dead, swaped it, nothing different.. then I fixed the wrong wiring.. nothing different.. then I saw the engine fuse was dead again, and NOW IT WORKS:D