November 9, 200817 yr comment_288348 -Ok the facts The engine is a 5k put in by previous owner . I know it has at least a lumpy cam in it but can't tell you anything else . lately at high revs.... or when shes warm.... she ticks unfortunately my stereo isnt all that great so i can't turn it up loud enough to drown the noise Is there a quick fix or is it a little more serious ? thanks LAUREN Report
November 9, 200817 yr comment_288393 Who knows man? what kind of tick noise is it? you may need to reset your tappet clearances, unless it's hydraulic? has it got enough oil in it? Report
November 9, 200817 yr comment_288461 Yeah I heard 5k has Hydraulic lifters? Can you determine where the tick noise is coming from? Upper half of the engine or lower? Misled is no man Kryton Brown =] Report
November 9, 200817 yr Author comment_288498 already checked the oil...shes good for that ... i have been told that the tappets are hydrolic.... stupid lemon car ! also i just checked... it appears that winke55 is correct .. i am definately not a man..... either that or its reeeeaaaallly cold :y: Report
November 9, 200817 yr comment_288518 Solution = You need a louder stereo :y: Nah, seriously dear, if it's up high it's most likely Tappets....... If it's down low it could be a bigger problem...... Don't worry too much because K motors are hard to kill. :D Cheers Dougy Report
November 9, 200817 yr Author comment_288616 Damn it ..... will get louder stereo and some super heavy duty oil if that doesnt work .... ill threaten it with a trip back to midas... Report
November 9, 200817 yr comment_288628 Don't worry too much because K motors are hard to kill. :D Quick edit : Hard to kill IF they've got oil in them :y: I thought i better add that because i killed my 4K last weekend :D Report
November 9, 200817 yr comment_288630 If you need somebody to have a listen and diagnose i live around your area. Cheers Scott Report
November 9, 200817 yr comment_288634 i have a ticking issue with my 4k also, once it warms up. so far people have said perhaps its oil, or a leak in the exhaust manifold as the metal expands once it heats up. Report
November 9, 200817 yr comment_288636 Easy to listen if its an exhaust manifold leak, just grab a meter or so of hose, stick one end on your ear and use the other to listen around the manifold (engine running obviously), oil gets thinner as it gets hotter so any slightly bigger than normal valve/rocker clearance will become more noisey as the oil gets thinner. Report
November 10, 200817 yr comment_288733 I had same problem with the ticking 5k, i found out there was a hair line crack on the manifold once welded the ticking noise stopped, so it could be your problem, or it might not be, hope it may help to find out the problem! -Gerard Report
November 10, 200817 yr Author comment_288743 might have to take you up on that diagnose OKE020 i think its tappets but I'm no mechanic Report
November 10, 200817 yr comment_288747 Hey, I drove this car about a month back now and when it was warm the one day I was there we didn't hear the noise :( But I quickly popped the oil cap and the 5K is 100% hydraulic lifters. So prob can't be valve clearance unless the hydros are fooked. also oil was full then. Manifold leak is a possible cause Misled another thing you can try to find a leak I find is start car get a can of WD40 or something and spray it along the head where the manifold bolts up I find it bubbles and indicates a leak pretty good. Also if you need a manifold or anything if yours is leaking PM me I can drop a few off with the ke1X badge I owe you one day. But also a though know how many KM are on the timing chain at all? I have had timing chains wear a front K motor timing cover paper thin as the rubber adjuster disintegrated and it all wore out this made a ticking noise but from start to stop not just when warm. But would be worn. As your 5K might or been built with a single row timing chain when the big cam was installed and they stretch REALLY REALLY easy. But another thing you can check is if the lifters are fooked. If you change a cam and use old lifters it can some times rip the bottom out of them. I have done it before I destroyed my original 5K lifters by running old hydro's with a new big hydro cam this made a ticking noise but also went with lack of power you don't lack power :bash: Cheers Cameron Edited November 10, 200817 yr by camerondownunder88 Report
November 10, 200817 yr comment_288764 Get a big screwdriver, put it on the block and the other end to your ear. Easiest way to track down whatever is noisy in your car - a mechanic manages to diagnose exactly which bearing had gone on my car this way. Report
November 10, 200817 yr comment_288787 use the screwdriver theory as written up by ' the random hero'. and try it on the alternator. Its happend to me twice and has saved me a lot of time Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now