Ke15-5k With Issues!

Misled

-Ok the facts

The engine is a 5k put in by previous owner .

I know it has at least a lumpy cam in it but can't tell you anything else .

lately at high revs.... or when shes warm.... she ticks

unfortunately my stereo isnt all that great so i can't turn it up loud enough to drown the noise

Is there a quick fix or is it a little more serious ?

thanks

LAUREN

Members dont see this ad

already checked the oil...shes good for that ...

i have been told that the tappets are hydrolic....

stupid lemon car !

also i just checked... it appears that winke55 is correct .. i am definately not a man..... either that or its reeeeaaaallly cold :y:

Easy to listen if its an exhaust manifold leak, just grab a meter or so of hose, stick one end on your ear and use the other to listen around the manifold (engine running obviously), oil gets thinner as it gets hotter so any slightly bigger than normal valve/rocker clearance will become more noisey as the oil gets thinner.

Hey,

I drove this car about a month back now and when it was warm the one day I was there we didn't hear the noise :(

But I quickly popped the oil cap and the 5K is 100% hydraulic lifters. So prob can't be valve clearance unless the hydros are fooked.

also oil was full then.

Manifold leak is a possible cause Misled another thing you can try to find a leak I find is start car get a can of WD40 or something and spray it along the head where the manifold bolts up I find it bubbles and indicates a leak pretty good.

Also if you need a manifold or anything if yours is leaking PM me I can drop a few off with the ke1X badge I owe you one day.

But also a though know how many KM are on the timing chain at all? I have had timing chains wear a front K motor timing cover paper thin as the rubber adjuster disintegrated and it all wore out this made a ticking noise but from start to stop not just when warm. But would be worn. As your 5K might or been built with a single row timing chain when the big cam was installed and they stretch REALLY REALLY easy.

But another thing you can check is if the lifters are fooked. If you change a cam and use old lifters it can some times rip the bottom out of them. I have done it before I destroyed my original 5K lifters by running old hydro's with a new big hydro cam this made a ticking noise but also went with lack of power you don't lack power :bash:

Cheers

Cameron

Edited by camerondownunder88