**urgent** T50 Gearbox?

KE555k

Hi guys,

I need to find out ASAP, I have a t50 gearbox in my KE35, behind the 4age, how many different types of t50 are out there and is there any way to find out what type mine is? My mechanic just called and he said he's having trouble ordering the clutch because he doesn't know what the gearbox has come from?

:jamie:

Any help much appreciated.

Nathan..

Members dont see this ad
Hi guys,

I need to find out ASAP, I have a t50 gearbox in my KE35, behind the 4age, how many different types of t50 are out there and is there any way to find out what type mine is? My mechanic just called and he said he's having trouble ordering the clutch because he doesn't know what the gearbox has come from?

:jamie:

Any help much appreciated.

Nathan..

I am aware of at least two - there is an Aussie delivered cars spec and a JDM spec. They differ in the number of output shaft splines. A search on google would answer this pretty quick I would have thought.

look at phil bradshaw's page:

phil bradshaw T50 info

T-50 Gearbox

The T-50 gearbox has a separate bell housing, uses a hydraulic clutch and comprises 4 main alloy casting: bell housing, two diagonally split gear casings and a tail housing. This gearbox is often referred to as the ‘split case’ alloy 5 speed and weighs 29 kg. The ONLY bell housings that will mate a T-50 gearbox to a 4AGE come from a RWD 'A' series engine (3A/4A/4AGE).

The T-50 bell housing has letters cast externally into the top section between the uppermost bell housing to engine block bolt bosses that identify the engine it came from ie 3A or 4AG etc. 3A and 4A bell housings have the clutch fork on the LHS while 4AG bell housings place it on the RHS.

The T-50 gearbox was fitted to other engines as well, such as 1S and 3T etc. The gearbox itself is identical, however, the bell housings differ to suit the parent engine. There are also two types of T-50 gearbox, referred to as 20 and 22 spline. This relates to the number of splines on the gearbox output shaft. Both gearboxes have the same number of splines on the input shaft. There is also a difference in the diameter of the input shaft bearing, which is covered by the bell housing: 62 mm vs 68 mm. The 68 mm bearing is in the 22 spline gearbox. The 22 spline gearbox is more desirable as it is stronger. It is also what all RWD 4AGEs came with.

In general terms gearboxes made 1983 or newer are 22 spline. This means that 3T, 1S, 3A and 4A engines have 22 spline units. 2Ts are 20 spline - so be careful. The AE 85/86 and AA 63 series T-50 gearboxes are 650 mm long from the engine end of the bell housing to the centre of the gearlever mount, however, some tail shaft housings fitted to earlier 20 spline gearboxes are shorter, hence allowing relocation of the gearlever with some mixing and matching of components.

In reality a 22 spline gearbox is the only one you can use because it is the only one that will mate correctly with an A series bell housing and handle the power.

Edited by styler