Possible Fuel Demons Lurking Within...

sirsprinter

I own a 5K KE55, and last night at 85% full throttle into a 4th gear corner, I backed off and negotiated through, and noticed the car start to cough and shudder as if it were choking, or misfiring or it was starved, and proceeded to spit and cough and carry on until stalling.

It wont hold a steady idle, revs up and down and carries on quite roughly, and cuts out.

First thought was a fuel problem, so I got it going and limped it home. Where it would violently shudder and spit and cough until ¾ throttle where it would appear fine and purr away?

Upon limping home I first checked the fuel flow as I run an external elec pump. All good. Lots of pressure. So I by passed the fuel filter incase it were clogged, but all good. So I checked the coil leads and all the spark plugs. Clean and working perfectly. I checked the rotor button, contacts and cleaned and checked the points. All good. Secondaries are opening and its getting plenty of fuel.

Car still starts rough, revs up and down if foot kept on throttle, and upon letting go stalls?? Strange…

I proceeded to dismantle the webber after checking ALL vacuum hoses, and with the help of a mate, we dismantled and cleaned the webber completely and meticulously, and reset the float level, checked all the jets, and replaced the gaskets and reassembled the webber nice and tightly to no avail. Same thing. Cough and spit and carry on until high rev/load, therefore no difference!

So we checked the vacuum on the brake booster, as we heard sometimes it stuffs things around. All good. We are still scratching our heads and yawning as its 3am by this stage

Now we are completely dumb founded as what the heck is going on with the lil beast, as we pretty much double checked everything again this afternoon, where, when we drive slowly it carries on, but under heavy throttle/load it purrs like normal??

Any suggestions or advice?

Cheers

Members dont see this ad
yea id check out your compression, sounds like ya head gasket is blown

i drove it to work and back yesturday which is an 80km round trip, tried taking it easy and giving it shit....and it didnt go through a single drop of coolant.

One thing we can't get our heads aroun is it happened at full throtle, yet when we drive under heavy load/high rev it purrs away

we're thinking definetely fuel.. but any other suggestions would be great.

LAter today we're going to strip the webber down again and see how we go...

i had that happen to me then it would cough and fart under heavy load then i played around had some people look at it and the funny old guy at the servo nearly used a can of inox on the coil and it stopped the coughing but i had bugger all power then the next day it was fine and still is so i have no idea

yea id check out your compression, sounds like ya head gasket is blown

Ditto on that. Give it a compression test.

Just cause the motor isn't using coolant doesn't mean it doesn't have a blown head gasket, it could have blown in the next cylinder or into the oil gallery or its venting outside or at worst the area between the valves could have cracked.