K50 Front Oil Seal And How To Inspect Condition?

Tally

Ok guys I have two KE70 K50 5speeds here...

Both have front oil seal leaks and they both have oil covering the inner bellhousing... One is not as bad as the other.

Now the KE70 manual states that to replace the oil seal you need to dismantle the transmission... Thats all it says...

It tells you how to replace the rear oil seal but not the front.

So Whats involved with changing the front oil seal.. is there a way around dismatling the gearbox?

Is it ok to drive with it like this?

Also as I have two I would like to keep the best out of the two...

When I twisted the input shaft on both, one was harder to twist while the other was easy to twist.

This also happened for the output shaft to the tailshaft...

Anyone have ways to determin condition?

Both were fairly greasy but I have degreased them and they have came up shmick. So I now will be able to identify any oil leaks.

anyone have any help on this subject?

Cheers

Tally

Members dont see this ad
I guess i'll be getting the leakyest one :(

They are both leaky lol, but one just looks a bit worse... but I guess its from years of build up anyway....

Also one has three switch wires which leaves me to believe its a KE55 one with a KE70 extension housing,

although I may be incorrect as the guy pulled it out of his KE70.

Anyways yea, I have the gregorys KE70 manual but doesnt help much at all...

Cheers for the info Rav - oh lol

If its anything like a T50 its REALLY easy to do.... but I've never looked properly at a K50 to know.

On a T50 its just undo the 4 bolts which hold in the piece which fits over the input shaft, slide it off, pop the seal out of it put another in and slide it back on.

hope its that easy... surely someones done it before, old boxes always leak lol....

Nope. K50 input shaft is held in with the cast housing inside bellhousing. Whole lot comes out and seal is pushed out through back of it after removing input shaft from housing. To get the housing/input shaft assembly out you need to drop the countershaft down which requires removal of the extension housing and bottom pan. don't drop the needle rollers out the inside of the inputshaft either!

cheers for that man, sounds a bit too much for someone like me to attempt, cause the gearbox isnt exactly as simple as the engine

hows the cars going. Still got my old 3K engine lol?

Yep. in the shed, might use it oneday. Got any parts left for KE20-25. I'm interested in anything.