January 27, 200917 yr comment_311527 Hey. I'm trying to figure out a way to make a custom intake gasket for my 5K. My first thought was to buy a 4K gasket and get a machinist to enlarge the holes. Would this work? In other words, can it be guaranteed that the head ports were enlarged from the centre out in a uniform fashion? E.g. the photo below: If it can be guaranteed, then I can do what I first planned and I'm hoping it will work. Cheers. Report
January 27, 200917 yr comment_311532 depends on where the water jackets are located as to where they take the meat for the ports. Best bet would be to mark out the ports on a gasket or even on cardboard and go from there. You can buy sheets of gasket material straight off the shelf that should suit what you want done. Report
January 27, 200917 yr Author comment_311537 depends on where the water jackets are located as to where they take the meat for the ports. Best bet would be to mark out the ports on a gasket or even on cardboard and go from there. You can buy sheets of gasket material straight off the shelf that should suit what you want done. Yeah but the problem with that is that I have to take off the intake manifold and exhaust manifold just to draw it up. I'd like to avoid having to do that... so there is no guarantee then? Report
January 27, 200917 yr comment_311602 Buy a new set of gaskets for 8 bucks and use them as a template. Report
January 27, 200917 yr comment_311796 Yeh, TAZ did a comparison of Bigport gaskets, and I think 7K gaskets. Edited January 28, 200917 yr by philbey Report
January 27, 200917 yr comment_311808 Cough :) 7kc - same as 3k/4k etc 7ke - much bigger exhaust and oval inlets. Round out the ovals and you have 3k big ports. Search and ye shall find pics. :D Report
January 27, 200917 yr Author comment_311879 Yeah I was planning on using them as a template. But... if I bought 4K gaskets I'd need to know if machinists enlarge the ports proportionally from the inside out. Basically I want to know if this is guaranteed so that I can just take the new 4K gasket to a machinist instead of screwing around with taking all the crap off and then drawing it. Report
January 27, 200917 yr comment_311884 Most K manifold gaskets actually have 3k big port sized inlets anyway, so you'll most likely not need to touch the gasket. I'll find a pic of this for you. :D ......... Top one is a stock 4k head - with a 3kbp sized gasket. Edited January 27, 200917 yr by Taz_Rx Report
January 27, 200917 yr comment_311890 You could buy the manifold gasket blank sheets (I think supercheap has them) and get it machined how you want. Or do the same thing at home with some big hole and square stamps? Ive done this with custom bits on my motor, i did it for TB plates ect. I found using hole saws as a punch works a treat :D Edited January 27, 200917 yr by Jason Report
January 27, 200917 yr Author comment_311897 Most K manifold gaskets actually have 3k big port sized inlets anyway, so you'll most likely not need to touch the gasket.I'll find a pic of this for you. :D ......... Top one is a stock 4k head - with a 3kbp sized gasket. If I walked into a store and asked for a 3K manifold gasket would they give me a 3K? You said most K gaskets have 3K big port sized inlets so now I'm wondering... last time I got a 4K gasket and the port holes were way too small (they were the standard size for 4K which is 25mm or whatever in comparison to 38mm which my head is ported to). You could buy the manifold gasket blank sheets (I think supercheap has them) and get it machined how you want. Or do the same thing at home with some big hole and square stamps? Ive done this with custom bits on my motor, i did it for TB plates ect. I found using hole saws as a punch works a treat :)Cheers that will be useful if I end up having to do that. How did you hold the gasket down while you drilled into it etc? Report
January 27, 200917 yr comment_311902 The gasket pictured is a Permaseal EM30, readily available at Bursons. Report
January 28, 200917 yr Author comment_311921 So does anyone know the port size in millimetres of the 3K head? I'm ready to go and buy one but I need to know it will be big enough. Report
January 28, 200917 yr comment_311922 Yeh, TAZ did a comparison of Bigport gaskets, and I think 7K gaskets. Fixed by the way. Report
January 28, 200917 yr Author comment_311928 I've searched and cannot seem to find measurements. Anyone willing to measure up a 3K gasket port? Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now