20v Head On 4a-gze

1G-GTE KE70

Just doing some research for my next drift beast project. It will involve the most insane 4A-GTE you will ever see :S (dead serious too)

It will be a track only car so it won't be registered for road use (That will be for my MZ20 Soarer :wootjump: )

anyways I was wondering if it is possible to fit a 20v 4A-GE head onto a 4A-GZE bottom end?

Thanks for your help.

I will keep you guys posted as to the progress of this project. It probably won't be in action till the end of the year (well the engine bit, the car body modifying will be but)

Thanks

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes its easy. slap on the head, weld up the intake pulley, use the 20v water pump and cam belt.

but best bet if your going for big power (and sounds like you are) then don't buy a 4agze, buy a 20v silvertop. rebuild it with 4agze pistons and TRD bearings.

if your going for huuuge power, then a 4agze will be ok, youll want the early model big port one though, cause that has the thicker rods. youll still need to rebuild it. if you start with the 20v then youll need to chase down some thicker rods, which as it happens i can supply for around $80-90 each. new genuine :S

it will be for drift so I don't need massive power. I want to build a tough as nails bullet proof lumpy cammed beast with so much torque it isn't funny (without going overbored hehe)

but yeah it's not going to be a dyno mule it is going to be held at high RPM for extended periods of time.

does the 20v silvertop have oil squirters onto the bottom of the pistons to keep it cool?

i was going to suggest a 7agte.

yes the 20v has the squirters.

for torque you want capacity, a 7agte would be perfect, keep the 7afe stock redline and youll be fine, fit 4agze pistons and say about 15psi. heaps of torque.

otherwise your looking at $1500 worth of custom parts

for drift what you really want is a broad torque curve, giving good control. not a peaky engine.

the 7afe bottom end isnt as strong as the 4age, but if you keep the stock rev limit (revs kill rods not boost, within reason) youll be fine, tune cams for torque, and itll be all good.

these are knowen to be torque monsters

there's nothing like having an engine that revs well high, it's amazing to see. i still can't believe my little 4k can wind off the tacho. it must be crazily fun having an 11k rpm 20v :wootjump: almost makes me want to build one, just for the fact that i'll need a cool smiths tacho :S

hehe yeah revs are cool, but $$$$

nothing wrong with building a screamer, theres no reason why a car built for "drifting" (oh how i hate drifting :S ) can be as sucksessful with a 7k max torquer as it could be with a 10k revver, but the former would be cheaper!

to pull over 9k reliably in a 4age you need aftermarket rods, the stockers are supposed to be good for 9ish, but id never excede 8ish, certainly NEVER with blacktop ones. so as always its going to come down to $$$

if you have a mega budget, say a few grand, id go 7agte with forged rods and custom pistons, if not so cashed up, then 7agte with 7afe rods keeping it under 7-7.5. a 20v head on 4agze bottom end, all stock would be good for 250-300 if done right, you wont get much more than that.

when you get up to professional japanese D1 levels, drifting is very interesting. it's insane how much they punish those cars, how they hold them on the limit pretty much all the time, and the massive driver skill level involved. seriously, watch hpi9. i thouht "oh. 90 minutes of drifting. yay. not." and at the end of it i was amazed

tangent. a drift setup greatly depends on driving style. some people use braking and engine torque to start a drift and hold it, some are better at flicking in at higher rpm and holding the car in a narrow powerband

hmmm if i was to get the 7a i would still need to get new pistons and conrods etc so I may as well just do that to a 4A-GZE block. like i can keep the smaller size of the 4a but have the same capacity of a 7a.

but then mr revhead has said to consider putting 4A-GZE internals into a 20v and/or I could just work the shit out of a 20v.

money is really no object because I'm getting $21/hr dayshift and $26/hr nightshift at work. and thats 40hours a week every week. so money is no problem. and because I could get a shitter ke70 for like $300 I'm going to spend heaps on suspension/engine mods instead of buying like a s13 silvia and then only spending like $3000 on stuff.

I don't need to car to rev that high as it's turboed/cams/ported etc so it will have plenty of torque down in the middle of the rev range. but I am going to build an engine that does rev as high as it possibly can safely. make sure everything is balanced and shit so it doesn't explode after 7000rpm.

superjamie: did you see me on HPIv9. it's the third chapter. I'm drifting a JZX81 mkII Chaser with a 2jz that revs to 7800 and hits boost at 5000. by the way my drift name is tezuka and i wear a japanese mask so no one knows what i look like........ it's true.... haha I love that car so much man it sounds insane.