Ae92 Typical Modifications

teknoboi

Came out to my car parked on the driveway... then saw that some f@$ker kicked my front guard and rear door..... now theres 2 huge dents that can't be repaired by the normal dent removers... so i have to get them panel beated and resprayed..... I'm so embarrased to drive it around that i went out and bought a bunky!!!

Here's the pics of the damage, don't think the pics do justice....! GRRRR

p1010115ig9.jpg

p1010116um5.jpg

p1010117gp2.jpg

p1010118rf8.jpg

1990 AE92 Toyota Corolla SX with red top 100kw engine!

has all the stuff such as a/c, p/s, cd player etc! leaks no oil!!

Cons:

clunk when shifting a bit fast( i think a bush somewhere...)

steering feels very vague, owner said its the bushes... its like ( doesnt have movement between 10 oclock to 1 oclock...)

brakes um they are 4 wheel disc brakes but they feel really stiff? (possibly needs new brake fluid?)

p1010119ad5.jpg

p1010121lb8.jpg

p1010120cv6.jpg

Ive had an AE82 last time with a red top 100kw engine it it, and it went alot harder that this one i have now, i remember it having extractors and exhaust and and a pod filter set up like this, with awesome response.... not sure how ill do it to this one cause theres 2 plugs plus a vacuum hose going into the stock airbox...?

2506061224kc6.jpg

so far its cost me only $40 per fill up of premium! So this will probably save me in fuel/maintenance cost so i can save up to fix the damage on my aristo!

So I'm not sure if i should mod this AE92 much, wouldn't mind some more power plus economy... but on a budget? Any Ideas?

Edited by teknoboi

Members dont see this ad

rip out the 4age

put in a 4ac

better on fuel and you would cover the cost of the car + some stripping out the motor :yes:

only kidding.

i wouldnt bother modifying it, especiallly if your just going to drive the aristo once its finished.

aristo>>>>corolla. lol

and you wanting to know what?

will depend if you want more than just a daily

i suggest you keep the airbox and put a panel filter in it, exhaust, shock and springs, bushes and some quality brake pads. these wont net you huge gains but they will help ;)

that and do a service ie, oil, spark plugs, coolant and all associated filters :yes:

Yeh theres a current CLUNK when i shift fast, I'm guessing it could be gearbox mounts or some sort of bushings under the car? Powersteering is a bit weird, feels very vague, owner said its the bushes... its like ( doesnt have movement between 10 oclock to 1 oclock...)

I think ill keep this as my daily for a while tho(couple years atleast). So i want it to be a bit fun to drive too! I was thinking about the following:

-intake(probably pod with CAI of some sort, how do i bypass those plugs and vacuum hose? cause my AE82 had the same red top but just had a pod sitting right at the throttle)

-extractors/exhaust

-lightened flywheel?

-some suspension(i'de like the comfort still but lesser body roll)

Gearbox Synchro would be worn... Try changing the oil and using an additive with the new oil...

Power Steering - Check for rack freeplay and steering column bushes...

Pod filter off the throttle body = hot air intake = bad... Much better adding a panel filter to the stock airbox and running a cold air pipe from the front bar to the airbox...

Extractors / Exhaust - shop around, find the right system at the right price...

Lightened Flywheel - IMO not worth the time, effort or money when the rest of the engine is standard...

Suspension - Get it checked out, replace worn bushes and other parts, lowered springs and good quality gas shocks will do a treat...

Also, would be worthwile doing a major service to the car, get it running a lot better and smoother...

I'm betting the shocks are rooted in the front, often gives people the impression of "vague" steering, means the car will like to wander on the road sometimes.

AE82 hatch would be a bit lighter then the AE92 seca too, something to consider when making comparisons between the two.

Edited by orangeLJ

yeh the ae82 i had, was modded tho. Full exhaust and POD right up at the throttle! Whats the weight difference between the 2?

Yeh the pod i had in the ae82, had a CAI with insulation ducting. didnt really feel any heatsoak, was always zippy! Response was impressive too...

The gearbox is fine, not the synchros, I'm guessing its some lose bolts or possibly rooted bushes in the suspension. Possibly mounts too...

Pedders check coming up on friday, so that will tell all!