Ke55 4k Tappet Clearance Help

Twitch

Hi all,

Can anyone walk me through the correct way to check/adjust the tappets on my 4K engine and what measurement, they are a little noisy.

Does the engine need to be at a certain point and if so then how do I manually turn it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any suggestions on why it is so rattly on start up, it rattles for roughly 3-4 seconds and then goes away.

Thanks all,

Members dont see this ad

Throw the oil filter away and buy one with a non-return valve in!! or "non-draining valve"

A plain filter drains nearly a litre of oil back into the sump every night, and the engine gets no oil until the pump has filled the filter every morning.

I had the same problem ever since we bought the car, 20seconds of bearing rattle in the morning with the oil light on. Changed the filter and made sure the new one was valved and the problem vanished.

Tappets- do them cold first, inlet 0.2mm, exhaust 0.3mm- Myles has a typo there! Take the spark plugs out & use a spanner on the front pulley.

With the tappet cover off turn the engine until the timing mark is on top dead centre on the front pulley, watching cyls one & four to see which rockers are moving. The cylinder firing is the one with no rocker movement, the twin cylinder is on exhaust stroke with exhaust valve closing and inlet opening. Turn the pulley until 1 is not moving and 4 has the rockers equal- ie number one is firing.

Set the tappets on number one cyl.

Firing order is 1 3 4 2, so turn the pulley again until cyl 2 has the rockers equal in their overlap, and set cyl 3. That should be half a turn.

Turn the pulley again until the mark comes up to TDC, at which time cyl one is overlapping on exhaust stroke and cyl 4 is firing. Set cyl 4.

Turn finally to get cyl 3 overlapping and set cyl 2.

Fire it up and hopefully but unlikely they are quiet. There's usually one or two that are worn noisy, and you can chase them with a screwdriver handle against your ear and pressing the point against the tappet cover above each cyl. See if you can pinpoint where the tapping is loudest and pull that one down a thou more.

Good luck

Edited by altezzaclub