Chg Light Is On.

Jono.B

Hi all,

the charge light in my ke30 is on, could someone please tell me what this means?? I checked all my electrical connections and such and they all seem fine and my car drove fine last night and this morning....any ideas??

also, my gas gaugge moves up very slowly and I'm sure it reads wrong because I canrt have used $60 worth of gas on a 10km trip to work..

please help.

thanks in advance..

Members dont see this ad

I have a feeling that it may be the chg light itself thats faulty because when that turned on the fuel gauge stopped working, might have a fiddle with my dash later,

also I have done like 300 k's with the chg light on and it still staert first turn every time, and the stereo was left on accidentally overnight... so my car could be playing tricks on me...

oh well...

The CHARGE light is an indication that current is being drawn FROM the battery.

This means your battery is supplying electrickery to the car rather than the alternator supplying it to the battery.

ie. there is a CHARGING error.

By the sounds of it, you're not actually experiencing a charging error condition, rather something is wrong in the error indicator. If your fuel gauge is playing up as well, then I'd suspect you dash gauge cluster. Pull it out and check that everything is contacting the copper tracks - nuts are tight, joints are good etc. Also check that the dash is correctly earthing to the chassis - easiest here is simply to run another wire (maybe even alligator clips) and see if it gets any better.

As someone suggested, whack a multimeter on your battery. Nothing running, it should be about 12 volts. Car started, it should be about 13.8 volts. This indicates that your alternator is correctly supplying 13.8 V charging voltage to the battery whilst the engine is running.

What the CHARGE light shows is that it thinks that the battery voltage is higher than the alternator voltage. If it illuminates when that's not actually the case, it's usually a gauge earthing issue.

cheers,

Slapper

I seem to have this problem sometimes. Although mostly only now when its cold and when the engine is warm its a bit better.

Sometimes whilst the car is on the chg light comes on and my fuel/temp drop down to where it would be if the engine is off.

Never experienced it whilst driving though. happens sometimes when the car is stationary.

Also sometimes I notice when I turn the car off for a bit then turn it on, the gauge wont light up but it starts. if I shut it off and re do it it starts fine afterwards.

and during cold starts the chg light stays on but fades away anyway after a while so I suppose thats normal.

I'm guessing its the connection around the gauge that plays up?