February 20, 200917 yr comment_320642 Ive just bought a 4age from a mate who bought a new engine because his old one crapped itself I'm gonna take it all apart and recondition it by myself and was wondering if anyone knew about how much it would cost to get it bored 40thou with new pistons, bearings, gaskets, etc.???? i have about 800 bux to get started with but i wasnt sure if this would be enuf Report
February 20, 200917 yr comment_320644 Do you have the pistons? If not probably not. $800 will get you all the gaskets, bearings and machining work done (depending on what you want). Then if you want to diy your going to need the tools to do it. Edited February 20, 200917 yr by Jason Report
February 20, 200917 yr Author comment_320648 Do you have the pistons? If not probably not. $800 will get you all the gaskets, bearings and machining work done (depending on what you want). Then if you want to diy your going to need the tools to do it. well as long as i can get it running for under 1200 then i think I'm doing good, I'm gonna implant it into my ke70 and get my mechanic friend to give it the ok, just need to buy parts needed for the transplant and I'm set. tools are easy, my uncle used to do lots of his torana's and corolla's "back in the day" I'm not 100% sure on all the parts i need to do a transplant but ill get them as i go i guess thanks :P Report
February 20, 200917 yr comment_320651 It all depends on how far gone the motor is. If you only need to freshen up the motor, new rings bearings and a head reco, $800 might cover it, but if you need to go to oversize bearings and pistons I'd say it'd cost near double that. If you've got a micrometer you can work out if you need to grind the crank, but otherwise I'd pull it to bits and drop the crank and block off to a good engine conditioner to have checked out. Report
February 20, 200917 yr Author comment_320655 It all depends on how far gone the motor is. If you only need to freshen up the motor, new rings bearings and a head reco, $800 might cover it, but if you need to go to oversize bearings and pistons I'd say it'd cost near double that. If you've got a micrometer you can work out if you need to grind the crank, but otherwise I'd pull it to bits and drop the crank and block off to a good engine conditioner to have checked out. i forgot to mention that my mechanic believes that the piston rings have gone and it only needs a tiny bit of machining ill need to buy everything as i have nothing yet, i expect to pay about 3000 to get the engine into my car i think thats a semi realistic number Report
February 20, 200917 yr comment_320657 You would want to replace the rings any way. If it dosnt need new pistons which it sounds like it dosnt~$1000 should do it. Hit up ALC for bearings, rings ect. The only things i really suggest is getting the proper sized piston ring inserter thingy. I used a crappy supershit adjustable one and broke an oil ring. For around IIRC 800-1000 I got all the bits n' pieces with everything checked, head shaved all parts acid dipped and balanced. Edited February 20, 200917 yr by Jason Report
February 20, 200917 yr Author comment_320658 thanks umm this might sound a bit dumb but does alc operate in perth? i am from perth and i was gonna goto coventry's and ask them bout stuff Report
February 20, 200917 yr comment_320659 Should be able to get them through repco or something like that, or ring them up. Hold up... :P its ACL www.acl.com.au/ Edited February 20, 200917 yr by Jason Report
February 20, 200917 yr Author comment_320660 sweet as. well ill keep posting up on the progress of the rebuild and any questions that I'm conufused bout.. i can't wait till i get it into the car, gonna polish and paint everything till it looks new how much would painting the bottom black and the cam covers green cost? high heat paint isnt cheap last time i checked Report
February 20, 200917 yr comment_320673 Last time I checked it was $11 a can? One can would easily do the block. Report
February 20, 200917 yr Author comment_320675 oh sweet well ill def go all out with the paint then :P Report
February 20, 200917 yr comment_320735 $1200 for recoo'ed bottom end $600-1000 for recoed cylinder head with all clearances set.. $100-150 for all new hoses and radiator flush and clean Report
February 21, 200917 yr comment_320770 I hot dipped, reco'd, balanced with new pistons, bearings, seals on my 5K for ~950. Head rebuild another ~250 If you don't need to go with new pistons, you should be right for 800ish. Report
February 21, 200917 yr comment_320779 where was that done? i got quoted 1100 just for a 4k bottom end at api. and about the same again just for the head Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now