2003 Fulcum Coastal Classic

demuire

2003 Fulcrum Coastal Classic - 14th June 2003

I had all the info, I don't anymore cause I gave all my notes and forms etc to a friend of mine who's thinking of participating in his S2 RX7. My motorsport partner Craig has another form for me. Pinky rolla will be participating, but we're not hoping to win anything - in fact if we don't come in last place it'll be a surprise. We're putting our eggs in for the Leyburn Challenge later in the year with our race Datto1200

No engine classes, just age. Pre-63 or something like that, pre-80 and post-80. Unfortunately Pinky fits in the post-80 along with the other big boys in their WRX's, Evo's and GTR's. Hence our optimism; we're just out for a blast and to have some fun and gain some experience.

Entry fee is $120 all up. Car needs to be roadworthy (so no, Grim you can't use your KE70), and you have to have 2kg (I think) of fire extinguisher, and helmet for speed events. Oh, and you also need a CAMS licence.

Contact Brisbane Sporting Car Club for more info if interested (07 38460233)

Members dont see this ad

There, you've always wanted a RollaClub team effort of some sort. You should organise a RollaClub team entry or something. Who knows, maybe you can nav for your brother in his KE70 or something. It'll be fun to have other Corollas out there.

There won't be much to see, it's a nav rally with speed events so unless you're gonna follow us around (300+ k's) to the speed events (of which I think this time there are only 3 including the Noosa hillclimb :D) there's not much to see.

*edit* yeah - put lotsa big rollaclub stickers on the KE70 and enter it. That's sure to get some publicity :D

When i get my gearbox and engine mods goin with my rolla then I REALLY wanna enter a tar rally (a Targa style one) but I don't really wanna go to tazzy. The noosa hill climb or mt cotton hill climb might be what I'm lookin for.

Id be in for a rolla club entry....i could be your...umm....junior engineer :D

Okay, maybe I should clarify that this is a road rally ie it's on sealed roads (at least for the most part). Similar to Targa, only smaller. I still recon Grim and Justin should enter the yellow KE70 with lotsa red rollaclub stickers, it'd be fun.

If you want to run targa (I do), you'll have to join a few of these and get some experience first, and hopefully some sponsorship. Targa Tazzy is amazingly expensive, hell even Targa NZ including cost of shipping car is cheaper. But nothing quite compares to Targa Tazzy tho.

I wasn't attacking your car, I was simply suggesting that you use it to enter Coastal Classic. After all, your KE70 runs a lot better than nick's KE70 at the moment... But then again, that's not hard if his KE70 looks the way it looks in the avatar... Your chances of messing up your car at coastal is about as high as you make it to be - but even then it's not high. Most of it is run on public roads, so it's just like driving to the shops. There are only 3 speed events, and even then it's up to you how hard you want to drive.

It'll be fun. Honest!

Quoting David Nicholson, owner of the white 600bhp Landcruiser that consistantly wipes out WRX's and other cars at rallies etc:

"You don't need a 600bhp Landcruiser to compete in one of the many 'Tarmac Rallies' run in Australia. All you need is a good-handling, relatively quick streetcar... no roll-cage - just a fire extinguisher, secondary bonnet-restraint & a 1st aid kit... and of course, an L2S CAMS Licence. A great (& inexpensive) entry-point would be The Fulcrum Suspension Coastal Challenge - or the Pirelli Leyburn. Both these events have a great mixture of Speed Events and Simple (to most...) navigation."

But yes, anyways...

The ROQ is on in Caloundra that weekend too, what most of the people I know are doing is doing the Coastal Challenge Saturday, staying overnight and going into the forest Sunday to watch the rally cars. I don't think I'll be staying, I've got too many exams etc to prepare for...

Nick, grow up.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yep, the Coastal Classic is run in conjunction with Rally of Queensland. I nav'd in the Coastal Classic last year in Porche (okay, so I'm showing off now!!) :Þ but it was heaps of fun.

Events like these are probably the safest, or should I say least-risk, type event you could put your car into. This is because the majority of the event is held on public roads, and you MUST follow the regular road rules. The event is interspersed with little speed tests... eg, you fang around a car park in a motorkhana type event (but bigger).

I have only seen one person anyone smash up their car in an event like this. And that was a WRX that hit a wall at Morgan Park. But he was going incredibly fast and was clearly being silly. :no:

To me, it boils down to: YOU are the one driving your car, therefore, YOU choose exactly how fast or slow or crazy or what risks you want to take on the day. If you feel that things are getting out of control, then it is as simple as slowing down. There is no one out there with you while you are on a track (or wherever).

I bet any money that you've fanged around the streets on more than one occassion. Well, it's just like that, but you are in safe and controlled conditions (ie, you are not putting the public at risk). All you have to think about is what you're doing, not whether there are cops around or if some idiot is on the other side of the road when you come over a blind crest. :D

It is a compromise - when you purchase something and put your heart and soul into it, you definitely are taking a risk by competing in an event. BUT that's the catch 22!! Why have something that is so good if you're not going to use it?

Anyway, this is getting a bit long!! :D So, I'll wrap up by saying: I would highly recommend the Coastal Classic as an event to start on. If you give it a try, and you don't like it for whatever reason, what have you lost? Plus you'll meet loads of cool people, perv on other gorgeous cars - and you might even enjoy it... or LOVE it like me and hundreds of others do!

To me, that's a small risk worth taking (but then again, I'm super biased) ;)

datgirl

Plus you'll meet loads of cool people

You get to meet Datgirl. That in itself makes the whole event worthwhile :D

I've never done Coastal Classic (it's always exam time, grr), but if it's anything like the other touring road events I'd say that the entry fees would be less than $100, and most of us will fit in the sub-2L pre-84 class. I'm most definately doing it this year, in the PhatDat (my unofficial name for Craig's Datsun1200) if Hal is not ready/running, in Hal otherwise...

Safety requirements you and your nav will need a helmet, at least 2kg of fire extinguisher and a first aid kit. I think that's all you need...