Minor Problems (engine & Others)

Gr3mlin

Members dont see this ad

i've heard someone say the best place for a v8 engine is as a water pump, converted to run on kero :)

hmm, 18000L of avgas... and i'd use maybe 20L/week. that means i wouldn't have to buy fuel for the next 17+ years :dance: if you get an offer like that again, hook me up :D

er... what?

petrol itself doesn't have any more or less power, regardless of octane rating, it's all got about 30000 BTU/Litre. there is probably a SLIGHT difference, but it wouldn't be enough to make a difference within octane ratings which are useful to a normal petrol combustion engine

however, an fuel with a higher Research Octane Number is more knock resistant (that's what octane IS - a measure of knock resistance), and so can be used in a more highly strung engine, to make more power than would be possible with a lower-octane fuel

realistically, any engine makes the most power on the fuel it is tuned for. this is how come half the people in the world think unleaded is better than premium, because their car is still running stock ignition timing

Edited by Super Jamie

"Research Octane Number"

OH MY GOSH! now it all makes sense! lol, ive work in a pertol stations for the last 2.5years. and only now find out what RON stands for.. LOL, and before you say it. no i don't get bloody discounts on fuel.. i should i got through enough! but i don't.

"this is how come half the people in the world think unleaded is better than premium, because their car is still running stock ignition timing"

YES OI! exactly!

i was going off of the higher the octane number; the higher the temp and stability the fuel will burn at

fuel will flash at a higher temp at 98 octane than at 87.

also fuel will burn faster with a lower octane than with a higher rating, hence it's less stable.

if the fuel starts to burn too soon, you get preignition, if it burns far too soon and the flame fronts collide, you get detonation.

not my ideas, i read this in hot rod magazine about 10 years ago so don't fault me :dance:

I was tlking to someone today, and he said to run my car on 20Lt 98 and 20Lt av gas.

is that stupid.

yes. If its 110LL (and it probably is) it will destroy your O2 sensor. If its any other avgas your going backwards with your octane rating... Just use 98RON Ultimate.

right.. where do i start....

mikey, your in the states arent you? we use RON over here, you use PON.

your 91 is equal to our 96.

now, ae101 levins are designed for 100 RON octane fuel.

NEVER NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE 91. i can only get 96 here, and have had to knock the static timming back to 8 deg on mine (on 100 its 10deg)

so your prob will have been the knock sensor going nuts. fill it with 98. once you get rid of the 91 it should correct itself.

the knocking noise you can hear could be the vvt pulley, they do fail.

Edited by Mr Revhead

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a quick update...

Yesterday, i had tools everywhere, trying to find what i thought was an air leak.

I'm really beginning to think about getting a bicycle. might glue a turbo onto it...

anyhow, i thought it might have been the source of all my power loss.

so i had the blenum? blenium what ever its called off and was looking for signs of leakage (btw thats where after an hour of searching i decided it was coming from) so i decided to give up and put it all back together.

well, i either fix the problem or transplanted another engine without knowing it. but it goes now. like the powerloss is gone! :thumbsup: Now, to rematch that bloody integra.

OOOh, and yet another close call with the local authorities.

Took off down the road, sweet, do the speed limit may I add, came off my road and got stuck behind a lady doing 40 on straights and 20 around corners.. The worst part is I was the 4th car behind her.. So I'm waiting and watching the other guys pass, then its just the old lady her friend and me. After giving the old lady's friend a few chances to pass I gave up, there my straight and I'm taking it.. Down a gear and off I go, past the lady's friend and passed the old lady.. And zoom into a 60km zone. I zoom around the corner at 100+ and there it is, a cop.. Coming the other way. Brakes go on and within 2 seconds I'm at 60km's. but that's not quick enough. I do a quick check and the cop is braking. So thinking screw it I'm already caught at 100, I speed up 2 80 and dart down a side street while out of view. Hiding behind a garbage truck.. So I'm sitting waiting for the cop to go passed. There goes the old lady that I passed in the first place, SWEET the cop didn't turn around! So I go to take off and see the cop turning into the side street I'm in. gutted.. I grab my licence and hold it up near the window ready as she drives passed, she drives down a little hill (out of view) to turn around so she can pull up behind me, 40km over the speed limit is a $450 fine and loss of licence.. But after she didn't show up behind me within a reasonable amount of time (a minute if that), I decided to make my escape and took off.

But now I do watch my speed now. So really the cop won…

-Gremlin-

Edited by Gr3mlin

Yeah, I watch my speed nowadays too. I haven't been done for speeding in 18 months. Yes, I have sped, but only in VERY short bursts, nothing more than 20kms over (which is still a bit much). Of course, I was caught before I stopped. 150 in a 90 zone, I had to go to court, lost my licence for 3 months, and copped a $570 fine :sad: . But as I'd expected at least six months and $1,000, I felt pretty lucky. But the judge telling me that I'd be gaoled if I was caught again put me off speeding. He was probably bluffing, but for some reason I'm not really in a hurry to call that bluff...