Petrol Gauge

I'm having trouble with me fuel gauge. igot it woking again but its not accurate and only works sometimes. would it be the gauge itself or the module in the fuel tank?. I ran outta petrol last week so it want to fix it before it happens again. I'll appreciate any suggestions. Thanks. :dance:

Members dont see this ad

Highly unlikely that it is the fuel guage itself. The guage is powered by a small 8V regulator, attached to the rear of the instrument cluster assembly. These are notorious for breaking down, but sometimes you can be lucky, and it is just a connection problem, as the older Corolla's used a flexible printed circuit board that can create problems.

The regulators can be purchased at an electronics store.

I would first check that you have +8 volts to one side of the guage.

Other than wiring between the dash and the boot, the other likely culprit is the fuel level sender unit in the tank itself.

This requires removal of the tank to remove the sender.

The wire wound resistor eventually wears away & shorts turns making it inaccurate.

The fuel sender units are hard to find in good condition. I had to go through about three before I got a good one.

Good luck !

Let us know how you go.

:dance:

• 3 weeks later...

well is stuffed around with the feul module put it back in and it strarted working again. i don't know what i did but its working now, but me speedo is out by 10-20 kms! And you can take out the feul module without removing the feul tank, u just remove the parcel shelf and work from there (ke55). also, on me travles to work (1/2 hr) the car will stall if idling and sounds like its running on 3 spark plugs. would any 1 have an idea what could be doing this. iv'e check and relaced things like plugs leads rotor button etc...

chears

re fuel module, must have been an earthing problem on the module. Now that you're removed it and put it back, new contact points, all good.

Speedo out, is it consistantly out? Have you changed your diff anytime? Tyres? Wheels?

If running on 3 cylinders, pull leads out one by one (putting them back before pulling the next) and find which cylinder it is. Once found, remove spark plug from said cylinder and see what it looks like. If it's got a heap of crap, wire brush, reinstall and see if it works. Else, try changing plug. If changing plug doesn't work, chances are plug not getting spark. Change lead, try again. Check dizzy cap, try again. Trace backwards until problem is found.

Could well be one of the many rubber tubes around the carby that eventually crack and leak, causing the sort of symptoms you describe.

If you find they are cracked, replace the lot. It's quick simple. Go to your local auto spares & get a 1 metre of rubber hose to suit. Take old piece as sample.

Remove one piece at a time from carby, cut new one to length & fit.

This way you won't forget which one goes where.

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

i changed plugs and accellerator pluger, running' good now. still gotta get motor check... she's leakin' a bita oil around the top of the block.

this could be causin' bad speedo. looks bad but I'm gonna head the gasket replaced as soon as i have time 2 do it! And can u relay the starter solinoid ya self, coz it aint gettin enough pwr.

had alternator, solinoid and starter checked to day. and all good...

oh, and i havnt changed diff or tyres... yet!