Ke70 Diff

Heyy everyone,

i have a blue KE70 rolla 4spd.

but when i hit 80ks i hear this wierd noise from the diff.

its like a whining noise at 70 it appears some times but all the time at 80

never had the car above 80 because its a 4spd and I'm still on my L's

all help is appresiated.

Thanks Scott

Members dont see this ad

Are you sure it's the diff? Maybe it's a wheel out of balance or a wheel bearing?

First thing's first I suggest you check the diff oil. Just take off the plug thing and dip your finger in. You should be able to touch it and it should be relatively clean.

Jack up your ride and check the wheels for noise. When you do it, stop the other side from turning too.

I don't really understand why it would happen at that speed. Have you eliminated the gearbox yet? That happens to mine in 4th gear.

BTW: KE55 and KE70 are very alike

Jimmy

Edited by Jimpoole

Are you sure it's the diff? Maybe it's a wheel out of balance or a wheel bearing?

First thing's first I suggest you check the diff oil. Just take off the plug thing and dip your finger in. You should be able to touch it and it should be relatively clean.

Jack up your ride and check the wheels for noise. When you do it, stop the other side from turning too.

I don't really understand why it would happen at that speed. Have you eliminated the gearbox yet? That happens to mine in 4th gear.

BTW: KE55 and KE70 are very alike

Jimmy

my diff whines at 60-70klm/hr and only at less than 4% throttle.

They can be funny things.

I don't see why a car that has had a 4 speed all its life wouldnt whine.

I prescribe a trip to the parts fairy to source a 5 speed and a 4.3:1 diff from an auto ke70.

Thats funny Mine does it only in 4th and is a 5speed. I replaced the diff, drive shaft universals and wheel bearings and it still does it. I have put it down to the gearbox. It also has a little vibration in 4th. Seems very strange though why its only in 4th. Good luck though, I hope yours is an easy fix.

one way to tell if its diff or gearbox is to put the car into neutral when your at 80k's and see if it still whines. and try 3rd gear at 80k's and see if it whines. most diffs in these old corollas are buggered by now. time for an overhaul. but yeah get a 5speed box and a 4.3 auto diff, then overhaul that one! (btw 4.3 diff give you more acceleration for the poor 4k)

my t50 box whines in 5th gear, and only 5th gear. kinda annoying, but over 80k's you can't hear anything cept for exhaust anyway so its all good:P